Blu Ray Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by tekkaman, Jun 18, 2022.

1. tekkaman

tekkaman

First here's my specs first:
    Motherboard: GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.x)
    CPu: AMD FX 8320e @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
    HDD: 1TB WD 10,000 rpm
    Video: Ati 4850

On this setup I installed the matsushita panasonic driver and I was able to play Blu rays fine for years using Macgo Bluray player for windows. Now for a few months I didn't watch any blu rays. Then I bought an anime series and I can't play it. In fact I can't even see the files on my computer either like I was able to in the past. Here's what's weird. I have an external usb bluray player and I plug it in and I'm able to see the files on my computer and play the episodes with Macgo. The problem is only with the 2 sata drives. I would thing maybe they can't read blu rays anymore. But I have this system dual boot with Windows 7 and they work fine on Windows 7. So at one point those 2 drives lost the ability to read blu rays on Windows XP specifically and I don't know why.

tekkaman, Jun 18, 2022
  2. tekkaman

TMTGTR

So your hardware optical drive is a matsushita, correct?
    Did you check BIOS to see that it recognizes the drive?
    If not, unplug and re-plug data and power cables to the drive at the drive ports and (for data) the Mobo port unless you have a power cable extension, then unplug and re-plug that too.

TMTGTR, Jun 18, 2022
  3. tekkaman

tekkaman

Actually the drives are not matsushita. The drives that are giving problems are One Sony Optiarc and LG. The only purpose of the matsushita driver is to be able to see the UDF filesystem 2.5. And it worked fine since 2017. So far I have tried changing from IDE to Achi but no luck. And both work fine on Windows 7. I'll try reconecting them to see if that makes a difference.

tekkaman, Jun 18, 2022
  4. tekkaman

tekkaman

Ok so I tried that but no luck. The problem seems to be very specific. It's reading a UDF 2.5 format disk using a sata optical drive on Windows XP. I get this error message if I try to access it from my computer:
    [​IMG]

If it's a usb optical drive it reads the disk fine. Or if I use Windows 7 those sata drives work fine. I can't figure out why suddenly XP lost the ability to read those disks on a sata optical drive.

tekkaman, Jun 19, 2022
  5. tekkaman

TMTGTR

Could the Macgo Bluray player for windows have auto-updated?
    Could the matsushita panasonic driver have auto-updated?
    Could the matsushita panasonic driver have become corrupted? can you re-install?

Do you mean in XP explorer, or within the Macgo program explorer or both?

Have you tried a blu-ray that did work before?

According to Wikipedia:
    "Revision 2.60[16] (1 March 2005). Added Pseudo OverWrite method for drives supporting pseudo overwrite capability on sequentially

recordable media. Has read-only compatibility with UDF 2.50 implementations.: 10  (Some Blu-rays use this format.)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

I have never taken change logs to be 100% revealing. There may be a need to use UDF 2.6 if this is the only Blu-Ray you can't play.

Just some thoughts...

TMTGTR, Jun 20, 2022
  6. tekkaman

tekkaman

I can´t access the sata drives on my computer or on Macgo. Led light powers on for a long while like it can´t read the disk. But the weird thing is that if I use a usb optical drive then the disks read fine. So the problem seems specific to the sata optical drives. And those drives work fine if I boot to Windows 7. I think something altered the Atapi /Sata configuration. But I don´t know what and I don´t know if it can be reset. I tried uninstalling the drives from the device manager but no luck. I tried very old blu rays that I know that worked before and they can´t be read unless via a USB drive. Macgo doesn´t have any updates since 2019. Macgo depends that the disk appears on My Computer. If it´s not there it can´t see it. Most probably if I reinstall Windows it would work again. I just wanted to avoid that since everything else is working fine. But it looks like I´ll have to.

Edit: I had no problems reading 2.6 UDF disk with the matsushita driver. I guess there were not many changes since 2.5.

tekkaman, Jun 20, 2022
  7. tekkaman

secpar

Maybe try to refresh the drivers with a re-install (not OS, just drivers)? It's been several years, and sometimes storage devices can experience issues that lead to certain files corrupting.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    secpar, Jun 20, 2022
  8. tekkaman

TMTGTR

Trying What secpar suggests is a good next step.

TMTGTR, Jun 21, 2022
  9. tekkaman

TMTGTR

Any news?

TMTGTR, Jun 23, 2022
  10. tekkaman

tekkaman

I did reinstalled the chipset drivers. And I reinstalled both drives but no luck. I´m out of ideas.

tekkaman, Jun 24, 2022
  11. tekkaman

TMTGTR

Please excuse if I am missing the obvious. I do not have UDF drivers installed on my machines so I'm feeling ithrough the dark a bit.

Reinstalling the chipset drivers is something I would try as well. But I was wondering about re-installing The Panasonic UDF driver.
    I see an alternative driver offered here and I trust this website downloads and have used them for years:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/UDF-Reader
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/UDF-Reader/reviews
    Edit- i see this driver is 32 bit and double checked to see you are on XP 64

That said I am of the belief that there could/would be a conflict. of installing two third party UDF drivers.
    I would:
    1- try a re-install of Panasonic driver
    2- No work? Uninstall Panasonic driver
    3- Install a new UDF driver
    Curiously, do the Sony and LG sites have support and offer/recommend UDFdrivers?
    I also include this link for further resouce/research:
    https://www.videohelp.com/search?q=udf+reader

Perhaps XP is pointing to the XP drivers instead of the Panasonic ones.
    I believe the native microsoft driver is: udfs.sys

The main caution I see in my suggestions is the Panasonic UDF removal. It has to be clean.
    An interesting thread is here:
    https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/how-to-install-and-uninstall-toshiba-udf-2-5-drivers-in-xp.15597/
    On page 2 I see something interesting:
    "I've uninstalled the Toshiba drivers and installed the Microsoft drivers. Then I couldn't see anything in the 'File Explorer' when I mounted a bluray iso film. I've installed again the Toshiba drivers and I saw again the files of bluray iso."
    The entire 4 pg thread may be a good read...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    TMTGTR, Jun 25, 2022
  12. tekkaman

TMTGTR

Tekkaman- Did you ever resolve this issue?

TMTGTR, Mar 16, 2023
  13. tekkaman

tekkaman

When I first got it working in 2017 I used the tutorial here: http://wp.xin.at/archives/829 And it worked until 2022. I don´t know if you remember but my motherboard got busted. I talked about it in this post: https://www.xpforums.com/threads/is-my-motherboard-about-to-die.934670/

After that I bought a very similar motherboard from ebay. So similar that everything is is the same except that it can handle higher watt CPU. I didn´t even reinstall Windows XP,7 or Linux that were on that computer. But the problem persisted. It basically confirms it´s not a hardware issue.

I havent had the energy to install Windows XP again because my dad passed away on august 2022. I dont know how it is in other countries but you have to deal with so much paperwork and legal stuff. Like changing the house owner from my father to mother. Here you even have to be absent from work quite a few times because government agencies work from monday to friday and some from 8 am to 3pm making you loose time and money. Tomorrow I have to change the ownership of the car to my sister. I´m still very interested in solving the bluray problem. It´s just that I´ve been a little tired lately. I´ve been handling all of my fathers death on my own and on my own 2 feet because I don´t drive. I walk everywhere.

By the way, something everyone here can laugh at :p I was so confused with the new motherboard I almost broke it. As you know most computer cables are foolproof. Except a very important one. The high watt CPU cable. I never used a higher watt CPU so I was plugging the video card power cable to the CPU power connector. It FITS ! but it doesnt boot. I thought the mother board was DOA. Until I noticed the power supply had like 4 of those cables. They are not marked which is for what !!! Miracle the PC didn´t explode.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    tekkaman, Mar 17, 2023
  14. tekkaman

TMTGTR

I can empathize with you. Being executor to my father's estate here in NY. was brutal. from May until October 2017 it was a full time job. my condolences for your loss.

TMTGTR, Mar 19, 2023
Ask a Question