BleachBit and TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Mar 21, 2018.

1. trimis

trimis

Since updating my BleachBit to version 2.0, Avira Antivirus Free has been whining about TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2, and wanting to quarantine at least 3 items (apparently connected to Bleachbit according to LukeFilewalker). Although a Google search tells me TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2 is a trojan. Not sure what to do. I guess either its a trojan or its a 'false-positive'. If the former, it needs to be eradicated...but if its part of BleachBit 2.0, and I quarantine it, wouldn't that screw up BleachBit? Any advice?

trimis, Mar 21, 2018
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

check individual files HERE if they are good just put them on the avira trust list

Elizabeth23, Mar 21, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

Sorry, but I have no idea how to upload files. Anyway, the problem seems to be solved...the hard way I guess. I got so tired of the constant whining that I let Avira quarantine the files, and as I suspected, that ruined Bleachbit 2.0, so I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled BleachBit 1.8, then rebooted. No more crying from Luke Filewalker (Bleachbit 1.8 has so far passed two scans), so looks like BleachBit 2.0 and Avira just don't get along. Not a problem, as I much doubt the 2.0 version is that much better than mine. Anyway, thanks for your effort.

trimis, Apr 2, 2018
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

my link was to virus total, all you have to do is click on the upload and scan file, a dialog box will open asking where the file is and all you have to do is highlight it and say okay.

Elizabeth23, Apr 2, 2018
  5. trimis

Tim

Its a prolific trojan/rootkit, it infects master boot record and all drives with an infected autorun file. Even if you have disabled autorunning, windows 7 is probably going to accidently autorun it through a vulnerability. You need to software update windows 7. If you think you are reinstalling windows 7, the infected mbr of that hard drive will have already loaded its hooks, you need aswMBR.exe to reflash the mbr, press restore mbr then when its done quickly
    press the reset button and bootload windows setup.

Its a rootkit and its virus file hides within unpartitioned space.use rstudio to find it in a hidden folder C:\$extend\$rmmetadata\$txf. A disk utility discovering unpartitioned space is the first sign, run gmer or no thanks rootkit, gmer & rootkitrevealer in safe mode. It will make your pc really sick and it prevents utilities from running. Eventually it may bitlock your pc and demand payment.

Tim, Apr 29, 2018
Ask a Question