Best bare-metal backup software for XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Jan 8, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

With the death of my hard drive, I am now keen to do yearly bare-metal full copy (or is it clones?). Anyone here doing this, and using a software still available for download, freeware or payware, feel free to recommend it.

Also, same for a 1 TB external hard drive. If you are using one still available to purchase (anywhere but Amazon), that works great on XP, let me know. As soon as I can get my PC online, backups become my top priority!

trimis, Jan 8, 2020
  2. trimis

Mr Siamese Cat

I use Ghost. Have used it for years. I do a full back up of a 1TB drive with 200GB of data on once per month. It fully clones the system. I use the same software on XP or Windows 7.
    I have put it here for you.

https://ulozto.net/file/WMzCCbeEi5hm/ghost32-exe

Mr Siamese Cat, Jan 9, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

Computer semi-expert

The dd program is not exactly a user friendly program, but it does bit for bit copies of the entire drive, meaning the ENTIRE drive!

Computer semi-expert, Jan 21, 2020
  4. trimis

jim davis

hang a ton of 128 GB flash drives off the back of your rig, if you do not erase often
    they last a long time, but always have a copy of each flash as back up.

and never for get, on a average of every 176 hours of clicks, solid state backups fail,

jim davis, Jan 25, 2020
  5. trimis

Sixthofmay

I've used Acronis True Image 2014 for several years without issue. I did need to buy the upgrade to 2019 last year to back up Windows 10. I haven't tested it, but I'm sure Acronis 2019 or 2020 work fine to backup XP. If you can't afford the program, search the web and you'll find there are free alternatives that work.

I like Acronis because it's GUI is step by step and simple to use (IMHO).

Sixthofmay, Feb 21, 2020
Ask a Question