Benchmarking tool

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Jojo, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jojo

Jojo

Found a Benchmarking tool while snooping around MajorGeeks.

http://novabench.com/

Handy to compare results after upgrades and improvements. Turning off unnecessary services for example.

Also not bad for a bit of one-up-man-ship if you're into that sort of thing.

Jojo, Jun 30, 2014
  2. Jojo

Elizabeth23

ccleaner has a benchmark drive capability also.

I have not used it, since I do not really know why I would want to see the read/write speeds of my drive, I can tell just by using my pc if it is slow or not.

Elizabeth23, Jun 30, 2014
  3. Jojo

Jojo

If it does, I'm not aware of it and I know CCleaner quite well.

Perhaps we're talking about different things.

Jojo, Jun 30, 2014
  4. Jojo

Elizabeth23

Jojo, my apologies, it was Piriform's Defraggler that has the benchmark option, and NOT ccleaner, sorry.

Elizabeth23, Jul 1, 2014
  5. Jojo

Jojo

No problem Elizabeth. :)

I was having a discussion about this tool, on another site with someone who wondered about the differences in results between this and the benchmarker in PC Pitstop site.

I think tools such as these are good for comparative purposes, especially to check differences after repair or installation of new programs.

But as a measuring tool, is it comparing like with like? Loading and saving a piece of code, from a routine, based in memory is going to rather different from a similar test from an online site, especially when we take into account what is being loaded and saved!

I rather like this because it can be easily loaded and run, from file. It's a bit of a shame it attempts to establish a net connection. This is for the sections of internet speed and those on posting results in their forum. However, the routine seems to work perfectly well without a net connection.

Good point about Pirform's tool. I seem to recall it only checks drives and memory though, but it's ages since I used it. I have SSDs and if I do need a defragger, I found a pretty good routine using script on a copy of Falcon Start CD.

Jojo, Jul 1, 2014
  6. Jojo

Elizabeth23

thanks for the info Jojo. :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 1, 2014
Ask a Question