Avira Free 15.0.8.658 whitelisting?

Anyone here have this version of Avira Free Antivirus? I'm trying to find out for sure whether or not whitelisting is possible with it....I'm thinking there is no way to do it, but want to make sure. I have started getting this pop-up every time I turn on the PC:
GDI+ Window: avgnt.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\ProgramFiles\AdMuncher\AM32-34121.dll is not a valid windows image.
Don't think its all that important, but also getting another popup from McShield (both being irritating), and I don't want popup proliferation.

usually means a file has become corrupted, uninstall admuncer, reboot, then reinstall the program.

Thanks for the tip! AdMuncher had auto-updated on me to a newer version that did not work, so I uninstalled it and re-installed my previous version...guess that's the bur under Avira's saddle. About the same with McShield 3.0.5.28, except I uninstalled it by accident, and re-installed it. I assume some crapola left over in the registry that IObit Uninstaller is too lazy to deal with. I cannot seem to get to the regedit, and my tech guy warned me against even going there (said that was the only thing I could screw-up that he might not be able to fix), so guess I will leave AdMuncher and McShield for him to mess with. Thought maybe whitelisting them would deflect Avira's attention, but oh well, like what can you expect from free antivirus?

http://www.xp-vista.com/forums/how-to-edit-registry-key-regkey-in-windows-xp-or-vista

https://www.techsupportalert.com/co...s-registry-editor-regedit-one-easy-lesson.htm

https://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/913.aspx

above are some links on using the registry, if you are careful it is pretty easy, but to be safe I always export any key I change and save to my desktop that way if I have accidentally screwed something up, I can restore the key to the original. :)

So Avira decided to start blocking Malwarebytes from scanning the registry, and started trying to access 'csrss.exe' with its 'ipmgui.exe'...according to Google it's a form of adware. Anyway, I decided to uninstall Avira Free Antivirus. I recall you are using Qihoo 360? Does it have whitelisting? If so, where did you download from?

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

you can also download 360 Total security, but I like the essential because I do not need the extra tools that come with the the total security, you can download from above, I like to download the offline full installer and I also download the virus databases, (in the green box to the lower right bitdefender and avira) I like to use all 5 engines for my scan but you can decide to do this or not. these downloads are very very large so it will take a little while, depending on your download capabilities,

there is a tab to exclude files or folders from scans, is this what you mean by whitelisting?

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

you can also download 360 Total security, but I like the essential because I do not need the extra tools that come with the the total security, you can download from above, I like to download the offline full installer and I also download the virus databases, (in the green box to the lower right bitdefender and avira) I like to use all 5 engines for my scan but you can decide to do this or not. these downloads are very very large so it will take a little while, depending on your download capabilities,

there is a tab to exclude files or folders from scans, is this what you mean by whitelisting?

Avira was regularly messing with this or that. Shutting Malewarebytes out of the registry scan was just the latest escapade, and last straw. The next antivirus has to have some way to tell it to 'make nice' with certain apps, like Malwarebytes....I assume that is the idea of 'whitelisting'? While I keep hearing that pretty much everything is supposed to get along with it, it seems not everything does. You have Malewarebytes, so I'm assuming 360 Essential doesn't mess it, but do you have any programs it don't like enough that you have to call off its attack, and if so, how? Is this what the "tab to exclude files or folders from scans" does?

none of the programs I have installed at this time, but when I install a new program, and it has to modify anything on my pc, 360 throws up a box to allow or not.

I do not have malwarebytes excluded from 360, in previous versions I have at times excluded mbam from scanning, but so far with this latest version, the do not seem to be hindering each other, :)

Yes, that is what it means. But do not go excluding everything :)

I think Elizabeth should investigate anyone who advocates Aviria
as I said else where-

Aviria used to dope your machine with "Open Candy" a Stockholm syndrome
version of spy ware, since they tell you their doing it

Its OK ---if your a moron and you want ad choice control embedded in your machine.

This molestation all most lost their company, then they removed it.

Do them and yourself a favor, boycott their company

Jim, thanks, but I am not an investigator, on any forum people can take any advice proffered, as a matter of fact avira is one of the engines used by 360, but really it is to each his own, :)

Back