Automatic Updates Page.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Noidly1, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Noidly1

Noidly1

I don't know what happened but, for some reason the Automatic Update page has been greyed out on my laptop.

I cannot click on anything to turn off Automatic Updates and for that reason, my shop laptop has not seen the net for quite some time.

Luckily it still only has Service Pack 2. I don't want SP3 on there at all for various reasons.

My shop laptop is only used for automotive and motorcycle tuning purposes only.
    Recently I downloaded a tuning software package on my office PC, for evaluation purposes, and it requires .net 4 to work.

So here is my dilemma, I need to connect to the internet to download the tuning software and all of the .net stuff to my laptop and do it WITHOUT any of the Automatic Updates happening.

How do I get the Automatic Updates page UN-greyed out so I can turn it off?

Thanks.

Noidly1, Aug 17, 2016
  2. Noidly1

Elizabeth23

It would appear that your pc is infected and I would wipe it and reinstall xp, and in order to download .net 4 you would need sp3.

you can download to a flash drive and then install on your pc.

You should run Malwarebytes but that requires an internet connection, you should download from ESET or AVAST, a rescue cd that you can run from boot to clean your pc if you do not want to reinstall.

automatic updates is a service and is turned off in services, go to control panel, administrative tools, services and disable automatic updates.

Elizabeth23, Aug 17, 2016
  3. Noidly1

TheLovleyGuy

Try To Get Malwarebytes from another PC and copy it to a flash drive ,, If There are virus ,, Try To remove it and wipe the PC beacuse it will have the virus:)

TheLovleyGuy, Aug 24, 2016
  4. Noidly1

Termingamer2-JD

Yeah, I'd recommend MBAM as a manual scan virus removal tool, as well.
    It's pretty much industry-standard grade and works a charm along other AV tools.

I'd actually be willing to pay for it to support the developers, even if I didn't use the automatic scanning features.

Termingamer2-JD, Aug 24, 2016
Ask a Question