Att: HOTFIX experts - What HOTFIX would you install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by chapper, Apr 1, 2016.

1. chapper

chapper

:confused:

Simply, what XP Security update would you recommend installing?

Background:

Windows Update states my XP laptop is 'up to date' with all the required XP updates. Great.

However, a Speccy report states that there are 12 HOTFIXES that 'failed'. NOT great. Hmmm.

In fact, Speccy states there are specifically TWO XP SECURITY hotfixes that still need to be installed. Most concerning.

1) Security Update for Windows XP (KB2834886), and
    2) Security Update for Windows XP (KB2834886) {which is identical to the one above - odd in itself - until you see there are several KB2834886 security variants.}

Lastly, here ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sea...6&cateorder=2_5_1&site=&sortby=-availabledate ) is a list of ALL OF the KB2834886 XP security downloads [there are several] that I have to 'select from'. Oddly though, NOT ONE OF THEM is for my XP 32-bit platform that I'm running.

CLOSING QUESTION: What HOTFIX would you install? Please PLEASE advise and thank you very much in advance. Here is my Speccy for all of the background details on my system --> http://speccy.piriform.com/results/h232tCBP7raVjnP40U7pevs

PS thank you to the founders and supporters and contributors to this XPForum. Greatly appreciated. Happy to have found you.
    PPS This HP XP laptop is currently my most reliable and best-performing.
    Looking forward to seeing the response(s).
    Kindly,
    Jeff

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    chapper, Apr 1, 2016
  2. chapper

chapper

chapper, Apr 1, 2016
  3. chapper

Elizabeth23

I would go by what Microsoft updates states, when you choose custom scan, it will review all you updates and the only ones NEEDED will be installed, a hotfix is ONLY to fix a designated issue that is generally fixed with a later update.

You should only install a hotfix manually when you have read the description and it for the single issue described for the hotfix.

some newer updates supercede older updates.

Speccy is a great program for a description of your pc hardware, but stick to Microsoft updates for what updates are needed.

Elizabeth23, Apr 1, 2016
  4. chapper

chapper

Magically Fixed with one little Microsoft update ...

Thank you Elizabeth. In fact, as I have researched the HOTFIX log files, although this HOTFIX attempted and failed its install on March 4th, it also then attempted the same install and succeeded the very next day.

Further, finally (as my computer is now performing just fine, once again) AS I WAS running a manual check for a Windows Update a Windows Defender Security Update was instantly made available. Installing that HOTFIX and rebooting MAGICALLY brought my computer back to life ... it is now running as it did - with plenty of performance, no firefox open delays, no gmail delays with no Unresponsive Java Script warnings - as it was FOUR WEEKS AGO.

In conclusion, one simple little fix and issuance of a Windows Defender update and the computer is operating just fine once again. I lost FOUR WEEKS OF PRODUCTIVITY. I don't know whether to hug or kill Microsoft.

I am shocked that Microsoft (or the internet's world of intermingled code) could put me out of production by sinking my computer with one single little code hiccough. That's a major threat to America's economy right there.

chapper, Apr 3, 2016
  5. chapper

Elizabeth23

next time do not wait four weeks! :)

I clean my pc regularly and scan regularly, and start checking immediately when something occurs that I did not allow. :)

Fortunately this does not happen too often.

====================

while it is running fine and in case you need to reinstall your os and do not want to have to wait for microsoft updates, this is what i do

1. download and run Portable update

2. run (on the machine that will be updated eventually)

3. lengthy procedure, so be patient but let it download all updates and it will cache them, I have this installed and run from my flash drive.

4. what I do is check what port up downloaded against what I have on my pc and what I want on my pc, then I download to my desktop all updates that I want.

5. once downloaded I move them into the cache folder.

=======

you could also use one of these sp4 (unofficial) that are out there but I have yet to find one that does not contain a program that I do not want.

===========

anyway after a reinstall and running portable updateer, there were not many updates that I needed, they were mostly the compatibility updates for office 2003 that I needed.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Apr 3, 2016
Ask a Question