asus a8v mobo mem config?

hey guys, I recently received a computer with an old Socket 939 Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard from a friend who said it isn't working. He had it off the night before, and turned it on yesterday and the fans spun, the HDD & optical drives initialized but nothing shows on the display, and the PC doesn't beep either. He originally had 2 512 sticks of ram and 1 256 meg stick in the machine but he he went to replace them with 3 1 gigabyte sticks, found out they weren't compatible when he went to turn the PC on, and put the original sticks back in...but now the system won't post and nothing is displayed on the screen. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to ram and stuff, but I have tested the ram, power supply and GPU in another PC I have lying around, and they work in that PC. I was wondering if there's a certain configuration to that board, because i noticed that two of it's ram slots are blue in color, the other two are black, in this order: CPU-blue-black-blue-black. are they color coded for their speed rating or something? would the ideal method be to plug the two 512 sticks into the blue slots, then the one 256 meg stick in a black one? Or can I just put them in whichever slot and try my working PC's psu? I'm a little bit stumped as to this, since again, the ram, psu, and GPU are working in another 939 socket PC of mine.

Thanks for your help!

I think that I need the model and model number of the asus, and is it a laptop or desktop??

32 or 64 bit??

xp home, pro or media center edition.

I think that I need the model and model number of the asus, and is it a laptop or desktop??

32 or 64 bit??

xp home, pro or media center edition.

@ Elizabeth23:

It's a desktop PC, windows xp 32 bit home edition i think. All I know about the motherboard is that it's an asus a8v deluxe rev 2.00. And it turns out that it wasn't the RAM Slots or the RAM configuration at all, because upon closer inspection of the board, I discovered that he had some burnt and busted capacitors near the processor socket, close to the agp slot. I've determined that to be the reason he doesn't have any signal on his monitor, since as I said before, I checked the gfx card in another PC that I have with an agp slot and it worked fine. Would it be worth it, do you think, to replace the capacitors given the age of the board (roughly 2003-2004 he says)? I'm actually pretty amazed at how long he was able to keep such an old board running for, but then, I'm still relatively new to motherboards, so maybe this is the norm? This board did seem to be pretty reliable given it's age and that he had it overclocked the entire time. Is it just me or does Asus build extremely sturdy, stable, and reliable boards?

I am not to up on motherboards, but if you can get the exact same motherboard as a replacement, and/or if you are good at replacing burnt capacitors, then go for it. My pc is over 10 years old and knock on wood it will keep on going. :)

Back