Are there patched old versions of Skype available anywhere?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Janice, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

Microsoft doesn't allow the use of old versions of skype. There are various tutorials on the internet about how to overcome this by tweaking Skype, enabling old versions to be used. Does anyone know of a web site where I can download an old version, already patched for use, so that I don't have to go through all the tweaking myself. I believe the old versions work much better on XP.

Janice, Jan 20, 2019
  2. Janice

WindowsXPforever

Im sorry,but...the old versions of skype nolonger work only skype 7.36 is working at the moment

WindowsXPforever, Jan 20, 2019
  3. Janice

Janice

Sometime ago I found versions 4 and 5 already patched to circumvent blocking by MS and available for download on some web pages. I used one of them for sometime. It doesn't work any more. The recent versions are so full of crap I was hoping some enterprising person may have patched an old version and put up for download.

Janice, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Janice

Janice

I am trying to get the portable version of skype. From Old Applications I got version 7 portable. When I try to login MS doesn't let me saying 'I have to update'. Would anyone know where I can get Skype portable latest version. I think it is version 8.....something.

Janice, Jan 27, 2019
  5. Janice

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Jan 27, 2019
  6. Janice

WindowsXPforever

strange skype 7 ON XP is still working

also the web version works too

WindowsXPforever, Jan 27, 2019
  7. Janice

Janice

Is there any official portable version at the skype website or the latest version portable at any web site?

Janice, Jan 27, 2019
  8. Janice

ClippyBeer

Excellent. Now try placing a video/audio call from the web client (won't work). What is the exact version of Skype 7 you are running?

There aren't any official portable Skype versions made by Microsoft - they are all third-party builds. According to Microsoft Skype on XP is dependant on IE8 so you really can't have a truly portable Skype app.

From what I have read you can still download a working Skype client for Windows XP from Skype.com but it won't be portable - you need SP3, IE8, and possibly other updates. I haven't tried because frankly I would much rather use my tablet for Skype. Maybe someone else can try and share their results.

ClippyBeer, Jan 28, 2019
  9. Janice

WindowsXPforever

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178087-update-ie8-to-tls12-for-nearly-last-skype-7360150-on-windows-xp/

WindowsXPforever, Jan 28, 2019
Ask a Question