Apache Open Office and functional spell-check support

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Hatboro, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Hatboro

Hatboro

I'm Looking for spell-check advice for Apache Open Office. I use Apache O-O on both my XP Professional 32-bit box and my Win-10 box. On the Win 10 box, spell check works fine, but not with XP. Within XP, spell-check underlines every lower-case word, suggesting all are mis-spelled - not helpful. I am running the same V on both laptops, O-O V 4.1.6. I tried a dictionary-transplant from the 10-box into the XP. That made no difference. As far as I can tell, my settings are the same on both machines. My guess is that V 4.1.6 doesn't like running on XP. Do you know of a fix for this? I am considering a version rollback in the hope of finding an older version that fully supports spell-check on XP , but finding a trustworthy vendor of legacy software is a challenge. Thanks for reading this !

Hatboro, Apr 22, 2019
  2. Hatboro

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 22, 2019
  3. Hatboro

Hatboro

Brilliant. I'd already browsed the same (more likely similar) pages of O-O downloads but was bewildered by the package's file extensions, lots of .jre's...I didn't see any with the familiar .exe. And when I looked at what you pointed me to, I found V 3.3, that I now have on this XP box, and it's targeting words like 'popup, startup' and the like as misspelled words...Just what I needed, a version out of the box that can properly do spell-checking. And yes, I did have to do a java download (in the middle of the O-O 3.3 install) and as soon as java was set up, I was able to resume the rest of the O-O install. THANK YOU!

Hatboro, Apr 23, 2019
  4. Hatboro

Elizabeth23

you are welcome

Elizabeth23, Apr 23, 2019
Ask a Question