Anyway to Get Skype to Work on XP ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by EdT, Nov 22, 2018.

1. EdT

EdT

Does anyone know a way to get Skype Classic 7.36.150 to still work on XP. Skype pulled the plug on XP on November 1st, but sadly it stop working for me just last night. :(

EdT, Nov 22, 2018
  2. EdT

WindowsXPforever

Its still working for me even after november 1st.
    Do you have the 256 bit for IE8 workaround?
    If not download and run it: http://uploads.skaip.org/2017-09/AES256_for_WindowsXP.vbs
    Note:Your Antivirus could go nuts saying: "ITS TROJAN,OH NO.WE NEED TO DELETE IT!!!1111" dont worry it thinks because it replaces some system files in system32.And "Windows File Protection" could come after you installed the workaround.That's normal,don't worry.You will need to have an internet connection too.After installing reboot the PC and Skype should work for now :)

-WindowsXPforever

Attached Files:

WindowsXPforever, Nov 22, 2018
    EdT likes this.
  3. EdT

EdT

Thanks for the quick reply, but I had already had IE8 and AES256 installed, but it still does not connect. :(

EdT, Nov 22, 2018
  4. EdT

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 23, 2018
  5. EdT

EdT

Only way I can get Skype to work on XP is to use version 7.38.0.101 in the portable mode.
    http://www.skaip.org/skype-7-38-0-101-for-windows

Everything still seems to work except one big thing that is bothering me is that I cannot video call with newly added contacts even though I can see them online, text them and send files to them. I can still video call with contacts that were already added prior. Anyone know what is the reason and how I can solve this issue, could this be a Skype server issue ?

EdT, Dec 3, 2018
  6. EdT

Elizabeth23

install the version that you originally had, add the contacts, then install the new version, it appears that your contacts carry over.

Elizabeth23, Dec 3, 2018
  7. EdT

EdT

Not quite sure what you mean, but I originally had 7.136.0.150 which I can no longer login to so I can't add any new contacts. The only version that I can login into now is with 7.38.0.101 in portable mode. I am able to add new contacts, text with them and send and receive files, just not able to send or receive video calls as the contact cannot see or hear the call ring nor can I see or hear the incoming call ring. Everything works with old contacts prior to the switch over to 7.38.0.101 ...this is quite puzzling to me from a technical point of view !

EdT, Dec 3, 2018
  8. EdT

catkiss

1. After installation delete the original shortcut from the desktop.
    2. Go to the installation directory and find the main exe file - by default it's Yours system disk->Program Files->Skype->Phone.
    3. Create the shortcut for Skype.exe. Now you will be using this one.
    4. Go to the properties of this shortcut and look to the target field. You will see "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"
    Modify target field to get the line like this (replace yourlogin and yourpassword to your own), do not forget about 1 space dash after each parameter. Text must be in one line, no any breaks or enters.

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary /nosplash /username=yourlogin /password=yourpassword /legacylogin"

5. Confirm and start the skype.

catkiss, Dec 29, 2018
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question