Anyone using CCleaner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by trimis, Sep 1, 2018.

1. trimis

trimis

Been hearing it can damage XP if not set properly. Anyone know which choices to leave unticked/unchecked? I have left all of 'Windows Explorer' unchecked, in 'System' I left all from DNS cache down unchecked, and all the 'Advanced' options unchecked....but I'd like to do as thorough a cleaning as possible. Can any of those I left unchecked be safely added?

trimis, Sep 1, 2018
  2. trimis

WindowsXPforever

Heres a tutorial how to install it :)

WindowsXPforever, Sep 1, 2018
  3. trimis

Elizabeth23

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ccleaner-how-to,news-19037.html

basic use and install info above, have attached some pics of how I have mine set up.

and for the first time run ANALYZE, and then if unsure check each one out online first, normally the defaults are okay, and if you have logins saved that sign you in automatically you will have to go to options/cookies and be sure to add that cookie to the keep side or you will have to type in login info every time. :)
    one.JPG three.JPG tw0.JPG four.JPG

shown in 1, 3, 2, 4, order

Elizabeth23, Sep 1, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  4. trimis

trimis

Thanks for the link, but I installed CCleaner and BleachBit like the first month I got my PC (September of last year?).

trimis, Sep 3, 2018
    jim davis and WindowsXPforever like this.
  5. trimis

trimis

Many thanks for the advice. My version (CCleaner 5.41) does not have all the options in your link, but there was enough for me to muddle through. I tried it out last night before turning off the PC, and since I'm still kicking today, it looks like I did not throw the PC into self-destruct mode.

Unfortunately neither CCleaner, BleachBit, IObit, nor the various 'unlockers' have been able to rid me of that viral browser Opera 9.01. The 'Opera installer.msi' has lodged itself in My Documents. Whenever I try to eliminate it it gives me this: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" and:
    C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\_is5A\
    Guess my Tech guy will have to terminate this malware. Oh well, did it to myself. Never would of thought a well known browser would act like a virus.

trimis, Sep 3, 2018
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

try deleting from safe mode, and also do a search in the registry, (edit/find/find next)and if you are unsure of deleting an entry, export it first to your desktop, and then delete, you can always merge the exported registry entry back by double clicking on the one on the desktop, make sure to give it a name that you will understand, if you are going to do a lot of them, label them one , two..etc. and you can always right click on the saved .reg and choose Open With notepad to view the contents.

I do not use ccleaners registry cleaner, I always go through the registry myself to delete unwanted program entries, and remember that you might have to search with several names for example, search for Opera, and then you might try browser, and if it is a subset of another program, you would search for that: XXX Opera, where xxx is the program, and remember also that if you are searching for two words, you can use a space IE opera browser and you should also use IE. OperaBrowser with no space the registry uses capital letters as spaces.

Note: if the registry entry denies a deletion, right click on entry, choose permissions, and add everyone to the list, with full control, and then you will be able to delete the entry.

I use Unlocker and sometimes it will have to delete with a restart.

EDIT: I do not use the latest version but an older one with monitoring disabled and also check to NEVER look for updates, I have found that the version 5.26.5937 works best for me. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 3, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  7. trimis

cmccaff1

I'm still using CCleaner 2.36--a very old version, but devoid of all the frills/junk later versions have. Quite fast, too!

cmccaff1, Sep 11, 2018
    xphelper likes this.
  8. trimis

charleskjohnson

I use CCleaner to clean the registry.

charleskjohnson, Jun 12, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. trimis

jim davis

I HAVE NEVER SEEN SOMEONE HURT THEIR COMPUTER WITH "JET CLEAN"

There are forums that are spams sites in disguise, those spammers know registry
    cleaners have a gigantic hidden benefit that keep you unmolested, they wipe clean
    things like adobe that, do more :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:then just open up PDFs, registry cleaners make your info IMPOSSIBLE OR harder to read TOO.
    REMEMBER IF ITS FREE===== YOUR PERSONAL DATA THE PRODUCT remember its the thought that counts, data collection is no different then rape, it implies your a thing not a sacred person, you are just a tool to let the data miner glorify their life.

that's why I grill folks who are not really folks and suggest a program to me :mad::mad::mad: many forum posters are spammers when their not chatting you up about baseball and
    movies and helping :eek: fix your machine, like the devil selling you a life insurance policy.

WHAT CAN A SUPER WEIGHT REGISTRY CLEANER HURT ??????

JUST LIKE THE SUPER DE FRAGGER PROGRAMS, they work the heck out of your disk drive, EVEN HARDER THEN "START UP" so i use a light weight one, CC cleaner maybe does a better job,
    but daily use is rough on the hard drive.
    my drive has been " jet cleaned everyday" for 6 years of my 18 year old Hard drive.

If you use a big boy cleaner, make darn sure you get the "Settings right"

PS, there are folks who have been DATA mined so long they are "Things" now, they will tell you its fine to be molested, never forget the abused--ABUSE

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    jim davis, Jun 30, 2019
  10. trimis

Elizabeth23

you can use a registry cleaner if you like, BUT, always have registry backups in case something does get destroyed, :), I like to search the registry myself and delete at my choice, as cleaners and I do not think alike.

Elizabeth23, Jun 30, 2019
    xphelper likes this.
  11. trimis

jim davis

Thank you liz, and they are not all created equal either.
    but i have never seen a post for registry cleaner destruction ever

jim davis, Jul 1, 2019
  12. trimis

Elizabeth23

maybe not here, but I have in other forums, not even with ccleaner necessarily, but with the system mechanic, reg pro, and all the ones advertising as registry cleaners. :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 1, 2019
    jim davis and cmccaff1 like this.
  13. trimis

trimis

I did a quick Google search of Jet Clean; got mixed reviews on CNET, and Malwaretips: (https://malwaretips.com/threads/ccleaner-vs-jetclean.7681/
    Wouldn't do me any good to install it, as I doubt I'd have the backbone to try it. I already have RegScrubXP since I got this PC couple years ago. Could not figure out how to work it, and too paranoid to risk it. Tech guy's warning to not screw around in the registry made an impression I guess.

Been using Bleachbit 1.7 and CCleaner 5.26 for awhile now. Not sure how good either are, as I use them back to back, and no matter which is used first, there is plenty left behind for the second one to clean. I just view it as a 'better than nothing' situation. I use them at the end of every day, and so far I see no damage, and tech guy has reported no problems. Anyway, this is like a test PC for interim use and practice, til I get my fancy-dance custom build finished...so it's expendable.

I'd be curious to see what others consider getting the "Settings right". I think I have pretty much everything ticked on both, except maybe five options that Google failed to elucidate.

trimis, Jul 8, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  14. trimis

jim davis

As I recall "Jet Clean" is one of the less invasive of all reg. cleaners, even so then CC cleaner and less drive tear too, i have used it daily for maybe five years.
    you push one button and it cleans, I have never gone in and preset it for anything.
    ha ha , I got it from a comp shop.
    and I still remain suspicious about the bad press, because i know it removes lots of info trackers and data miners want.
    sorry, but i know this medium, its common practice for spammers to post and to slam a product as a ruse to change and improve data mining practices.
    what freaks me out is often it removes 500 GB of trash and then my xp flies like a bird again.

But never engage in a activity that makes you nervous.

jim davis, Jul 8, 2019
  15. trimis

Chloezer

In my view avast is perfect than ccleaner, it has installed in my pc and works well.

Chloezer, Aug 10, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  16. trimis

jim davis

Theres a reg cleaner in avast ????????? it must be a pay to use deal ?????
    I ran avast for 2 years without a fire wall, :eek::eek:
    however, I use "Startpage" proxy every where i go, so everything I look at is washed first at start page*****, if i even give permission to down load cookies at a site, they go get lost in space.

With jet clean i check every single box to get vacumed
    never a problem.

****** STARTPAGE
    proxy works everywhere except log on sites and ebay.
    I don't use amazon cause my state has nothing left but a few beat up stop signs from lost tax revenue to amazon.

jim davis, Aug 12, 2019
    trimis and priscus like this.
  17. trimis

Dyehard

I have a folder on a thumb drive with several old CCleaner installers.
    I use an old version on my XP laptop and uncheck the “check for updates” box.
    The new CCleaner versions are full of pop ups and very annoying on any o/s.

Dyehard, Aug 15, 2019
  18. trimis

Dyehard

I also use an ancient copy of the Norton One Button cleaner utility. It was installed over a decade ago when the laptop was purchased.

Dyehard, Aug 15, 2019
  19. trimis

jim davis

TRIMIS you surprise me, most times you are smarter then me,,,,,,,C-NET IS THE SITE THAT USED TO HIDE A VIRUS in their free download programs.

jim davis, Aug 16, 2019
  20. trimis

Elizabeth23

filehippo is a better site to download older versions and you should always download to your desktop and then scan the download BEFORE opening. :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 22, 2019
Ask a Question