Anyone here have SRWare Iron?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by trimis, Oct 16, 2018.

1. trimis

trimis

I have just noticed that neither BleachBit nor CCleaner seems able to delete the 'chrome://cache' contents in SRWare Iron 49.2600.0, nor do I find any means to do so within the browser itself...at least non that works. Anyone know of a way to sanitize the contents, or is this something Iron users must live with?

Also, is there any way to turn off DNS-prefetching in Iron? I'm preparing to deploy a VPN, and apparently this leaks the ISP address.

trimis, Oct 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. trimis

cmccaff1

I've never used SRWare Iron, but am interested in giving it a try. I'm not sure how well it'll run on my Pentium 4 PC, but I've got a spare laptop I can test it on. I would be very surprised if there is no built-in option to delete the cache--that should be a standard feature in ANY browser (it's available even in Firefox 1.0.x, but is only accessible from the Options menu [starting with Firefox 1.5.0.x, a built-in auto-sanitize feature was introduced]). If I'm not mistaken, newer versions of CCleaner should recognize Iron as Chrome and clear out the files the same way it did with Chrome 49/Opera 36 when I was using those browsers (at the time, I was using CCleaner 4.19, which is the last reliable version for me; I'd still be using it today but 2.36 runs faster for me [& is 98SE-compatible too, which is pretty neat]).

cmccaff1, Oct 16, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

There is three horizontal lines symbol at top right. You click it, it brings a dropdown menu, you click 'settings', then click 'show advanced settings'. Under 'privacy' is 'clear browsing data' which has 'cached images and files' checked. You click 'clear browsing data'. It seems to work, but if you now go to 'chrome://cache' in the address bar, its contents are untouched. Same with CCleaner and BleachBit....both have cached stuff checked....neither actually touch the 'chrome://cache' contents. Both say they cleared the cache stuff, neither does. I don't get it! I have BleachBit 1.8, and CCleaner 5.46....both are the last versions that work on my PC (had to uninstall new versions, reinstall these, & block updates).

trimis, Oct 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

for firefox I have put a shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\Liz\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4uzke35i.default, inside is the cache2 and sometimes cache, I delete contents manually as ccleaner will take a long time to delete these, I have the same for MyPal. So maybe you can find the folder for the cache file for chrome in the local settings of your user name and place a shortcut on the desktop and delete at will, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 17, 2018
    trimis and cmccaff1 like this.
  5. trimis

cmccaff1

Out of curiosity, I downloaded BleachBit 1.8 and CCleaner 5.46 tonight. BleachBit works fine, and wasn't too hard to get set up (thanks for the recommendation)! CCleaner 5.46, for whatever reason, refused to install, but 5.39 did and works fine. I also downloaded the Comodo System Cleaner from MajorGeeks.com and that too works very well under XP (the latest version was released in 2010 but is still fantastic today). In general I'm not a big fan of registry cleaners, but I recommend those three with highest honors to ANYONE who wants a faster/more secure computer.

cmccaff1, Oct 18, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  6. trimis

trimis

I have Comodo Programs Manager 1.3_build_30, to watch & uninstall any noxious downloads that IObit cannot handle. My tech guy gave strict orders for me not to mess with the registry, so I leave that to him. I've seen reports on various forums that Comodo System Cleaner does too good a job, so be careful. I checked, and do have CCleaner 5.46 installed on my XP Pro SP3....no idea why it wouldn't work for you.

trimis, Oct 20, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  7. trimis

cmccaff1

5.46 is working fine now--for some reason the 5.46 installer didn't work, but the 5.39 installer did (and oddly enough, it automatically upgraded me to 5.46 on two different installations of XP; strange, but I can't complain one bit, since it's working flawlessly right now). Thanks again for the recommendations!

cmccaff1, Oct 20, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  8. trimis

trimis

I haven't looked into those browsers yet. Chromodo looks clean, as does Slimjet. Only Iron has the problem. No idea how to "find the folder for the cache file for chrome in the local settings of your user name".

trimis, Oct 20, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. trimis

Elizabeth23

go to c:/documents and settings/your user name/ select, then go to Tools in the menu bar, and choose Folder Options, View tab, under Hidden Files and Folders, click to Show hidden files and folders

This will let the application data folder with your profiles and the local settings/application file with your profile become visible, look through the local settings/application data/ XXX for what ever browser keeps a profile.

https://portableapps.com/node/43678

according to the thread above you do not want to clear your cache. Please read it and let me know what you think,

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  10. trimis

trimis

Okay, so another problem arose yesterday. Neither Mypal nor SRWare Iron would connect to the internet. Strangely, all my other browsers were unaffected. So I uninstalled both and reinstalled them. Not only lost a massive amount of research links (bookmarks), but failed to even note which addons/extensions I had....so had to start from scratch. A long story not made so short, I discovered one called Click&Clean 9.6.3.0, which completely erases the entire 'chrome://cache' contents. Hence problem solved! The bad news is my faith in CCleaner & BleachBit is shaken.

trimis, Oct 25, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  11. trimis

cmccaff1

Click&Clean, huh? I'm going to have to give that one a try--it sounds quite good! Is 9.6.3.0 a recent update, or has it not been updated in a while (essentially making it the last version)?

UPDATE: Oh, wait--I see. It's a browser addon. I thought it was an external program! Going to have to give it a try anyway! Thanks for the recommendation!

cmccaff1, Oct 25, 2018
  12. trimis

trimis

I think Haller is an idiot, similar to those cheerleaders that support the CA nazis, irregardless of what you tell them. His hogwash about "the entire point of a disk cache is so that you save static files between uses of the browser. If you delete it on exit of the browser, it's pointless." is ludicrous....if you don't want the cache saved between browser sessions, then forcing you to save it between browser sessions is indeed "pointless", and the best he can offer is CLI crapola. Same sort of circular reasoning of the CA cheerleaders that constantly squeal about XP being soooo insecure, then when you say you want to circumvent the certificates store they screech "SECURITY! You will have no SECURITY!". Duh!
    Anyway, been clearing the cache since I got Click&Clean with no problems, and I would note that Slimjet and Chromodo makes it easy to clear this same cache from within the browser, without addons, while Iron does not seem to have any such option that I could find.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    trimis, Oct 31, 2018
  13. trimis

trimis

If you don't have SRWare Iron, you won't need it:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickclean/ghgabhipcejejjmhhchfonmamedcbeod?hl=en
    It looks like there is a version for Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clickclean/
    but so far as I know, either Firefox allows you to do this within the browser, or BleachBit/CCleaner will handle it.

trimis, Oct 31, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. trimis

trimis

They are good to run one after the other as one will leave behind junk that the other one will then delete. Still no idea why neither can touch the dang cache of Iron, but Click&Clean sanitizes it, so good enough!

trimis, Oct 31, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  15. trimis

Elizabeth23

I always clear my cache, so I will disregard what is said at that link, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question