Anyone have AbiWord 2.9?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by trimis, Sep 21, 2018.

1. trimis

trimis

Just got it a few days ago, and trying to figure out how to get some lists I made on it to a flash drive, without erasing the originals in 'My Documents'. Anybody got a step-by-step on how to do it?

trimis, Sep 21, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 21, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. trimis

cmccaff1

I'm not too familiar with AbiWord, but did try it out a few years back when I was looking to find a more lightweight alternative to MS Word. I ended up going back to Word 2003 (the last sensible version, before they moved everything around and ruined the interface), so my memories of it are hazy, but from what I recall it was a solid option for older PCs. It worked well on my old IBM Thinkpad 380 ED and Compaq Presario 7360, but sadly it is lacking in a few areas compared to Word.

cmccaff1, Sep 29, 2018
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/microsoft-office-2003-free-download

we are using this on a win 10 pc at the shop and no probs so far, and it does state compatible for xp , libre office requires java and it is mostly for linux, I read this somewhere but cannot remember where, also this SEARCH page has several listings for alternatives you can research, I still use office 2003, with the 2007 and 2010 conversions packages from microsoft updates.

Elizabeth23, Sep 29, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. trimis

cmccaff1

Office 2003 should work fine on all MS operating systems from Windows 2000 SP3 forward (it will not work on SP2 or earlier; I tried and could only go up to Office XP, which is also a superb version). For those who want to have a full office suite on Windows XP, my recommendation is any version of Office from 97 to 2003. I've tried OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. and they were all big memory hogs. XP can also run Office 2007, and even Office 2010, but unless you have a dual-core and/or 2GB+ of RAM then you can forget about having decent performance. I can't see why anyone would need a version newer than 2003--with compatibility packs it's unstoppable.

cmccaff1, Sep 29, 2018
  6. trimis

trimis

Thanks to all that replied. I finally figured it out, though it still takes several tries to get it to work, but it does work, so problem solved. I have several versions of Word 2003 on install-discs, but due to the complexity of having to 'activate', I'm waiting for the tech guy to come back to have him do it, so I'm trying to use AbiWord til then. A bit primitive compared to Word, and the .abi file does not seem to open on any printshop computers, but it does convert to .doc within the program, so still usable.

trimis, Oct 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 and Elizabeth23 like this.
  7. trimis

cmccaff1

I'm glad that everything worked out for you, trimis! I use a portable version of Office 97 on my Pentium 4 PC now--it spares me all of the woes normally associated with activation, and runs faster than 2003 did. For legal reasons I cannot and WILL not upload this to any websites, but if you're interested I can tell you what files I extracted from the CD-ROM/ISO to get it up and running (the files are all extracted into a folder marked "Microsoft Office" in my Program Files section--there are only 23 files, and the total uncompressed size is 24.6MB [yet Excel, PowerPoint, & Word are all available & usable; amazing given that new Office versions no longer fit on CD-ROM]).

cmccaff1, Oct 16, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  8. trimis

trimis

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not good (i.e successful) foolin' with portable apps, zip files and all that. I could have the tech guy do it, but no reason to....Word 2003 was my go-to app, til the brutes at the libraries and copy shops switched out to the gawd-awful Word 2010, and whatever else they got now. I'll have Word 2003 again, ASAP. All the other crapola in Office 2003 I'll try to have him ditch. Not sure if Word 2003 requires the rest of the bloatware to operate or not, but he will know. AbiWord will do til then. Not sure if I will keep it after I get 'my precious' back! I think I saw it in my MX Linux thingie that downloads more software (Synaptic?). Not sure, but I think MX has LibreOffice or OpenOffice preinstalled, and don't like either, so maybe I'll replace the default junk with Abiword.

trimis, Oct 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. trimis

cmccaff1

No worries, my friend. Up until a few years ago, portable apps really weren't my thing, either. It was only recently that I began to really master the finer points of using them. I'm glad Abiword is doing what you need it to do, and hope Word 2003 will work a treat once you have it up and running again.

cmccaff1, Oct 18, 2018
Ask a Question