Any E-mail Client for XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by None, May 22, 2020.

1. None

None

Hello!

I'm looking for an IMAP e-mail client that still receive updates, since SeaMoney is not supported anymore.
    Looking around, found just POP3 clients and Sylpheed, that looks pretty dead to me... Any hope of finding any? hahah

Thanks!

None, May 22, 2020
  2. None

ClippyBeer

The only other XP compatible ones besides Slypheed are Pegasus, Popman and nPOPuk. Haven't tried them myself, last time I used an Email client was Windows 98.

ClippyBeer, May 26, 2020
  3. None

Elizabeth23

not sure what you mean by "client", I have been using yahoo mail since I first got a computer.

Elizabeth23, May 26, 2020
  4. None

ClippyBeer

Back in the Pre-XP era of Dial-up Mom & Pop internet service providers the most common way to access email was in the form of an email client (Eudora, Pegasus, MS Mail, Outlook Express, Netscape Communicator, etc). My first internet service provider was a small local company. You internet service provider was also your email provider and you needed a POP3 email client such as the ones I mentioned (I first used Eudora then Pegasus). The client would connect then download any new email to your PC. This was very useful since dial-up internet was notorious for random disconnects. Many ISPs also had metered connections (you were given a certain number of hours per month of online usage, anything over and you had to pay extra) AOL's service was like this. I was fortunate that my ISP was unlimited but the random disconnects were still problematic. You also had the advantage of reading/replying to/composing emails offline. You would then dialup your ISP and the client would sync with their email server. The dial-ups I remember..Erol's, Netcom, Prodigy, and of course AOL.

Today of course you the most common way is from your browser (Webmail). Nothing to install. Some people still prefer email clients (Thunderbird, Outlook) but their popularity is definitely waning.

ClippyBeer, May 27, 2020
  5. None

Elizabeth23

Thanks, ClippyBeer, I remember that I do have an email with my ISP, but have never used it since it was initiated. I wonder how many emails are in it after 20 years, ? :)

Elizabeth23, May 27, 2020
  6. None

None

Yes, that's it! Outlook/Thunderbird are still wide used in enterprise environment tho.
    In my case, when you have a lot of folders with a lot of e-mails in an old XP machine, the browser can hang there loading, while an e-mail client already have everything locally stored, instantly opened!

None, May 28, 2020
  7. None

None

Just an update: the last working version of SeaMonkey is the best option... I'm using this add-on, so links will open with the standard browser (MyPal).

None, Jun 5, 2020
  8. None

secpar

I went from Thunderbird 9 to version 17 recently, which didn't do much for what I was trying to accomplish. I was trying to get emails to show up that were using new encryption protocols.

Only some emails would show, others still would not.

I don't think email clients are "waning" one bit. In the corporate world, perhaps, as things move to cloud-based apps and access (office 365 or google).

secpar, Jun 27, 2020
  9. None

trimis

There are many alternatives/replacements for Outlook Express, but I have no idea whether that email client is POP or IMAP, as I only use webmail. I'm guessing OE is POP, so its alternatives probably would be too. Plus most of them don't actually say if it is POP or IMAP:
    https://www.emailtray.com/download-email-client.html
    http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm

trimis, Jul 9, 2020
  10. None

cornemuse

I changed to 'Thunderbird' after OE stopped receiving mail (Cox.com/net), I could still send tho, go figure.

My only gripe with T-bird is its sooo slow in starting,

cornemuse, Jul 10, 2020
Ask a Question