anti virus

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by VOSTRO, Sep 16, 2014.

1. VOSTRO

VOSTRO

hmm. if you were to choose, which is better? avast or 360 total security by quihoo. also can i use 2 antivirus at the same time? is 360 updatable?

VOSTRO, Sep 25, 2014
  2. VOSTRO

Elizabeth23

only ONE antivirus can be run in real time, you can have a malware scanner, and/or a spyware scanner installed as on demand scanners, but not another antivirus.

===========

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...free-antivirus-9-reviewed-and-rated-1057786/1

you can do what I did, try several of the free ones, but make sure that they will still support xp, some will quit support for xp in 2015,

I have been switching back and forth between avast and quiho,

avast: have popups turned off as I hate to be nagged about buying avast, did not install any of the extra items as I already have other programs to do these things,
    but it is good at detecting.

360: until it learns your pc, there are many false positives, and you end up whitelisting lots of programs, cannot find a forum to ask questions, and I do not like the fact that it has to be granted an exception to my firewall, (windows firewall)
    but scan is fast and it does detect lots of stuff, especially when you download an item that has any PUPs bundled with the download.

bitdefender: tried this one to but I like to have control over options, but this one is very good.

Elizabeth23, Sep 25, 2014
  3. VOSTRO

Elizabeth23

ALSO: the very best way to clear a serious infection is to wipe everything with a full format, (not quick) and start over. you can back up data to a flash drive, and then before you install the data off the flash drive scan the flash drive first to see if any infections are present.

I have my pc set to not open flash drives until I say to, that way I have a chance to scan before opening, as flash drives are a good way to get infections if you carry it from one pc to another without scanning.

Elizabeth23, Sep 25, 2014
  4. VOSTRO

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello Vostro,

Panda Cloud Anti-Virus Free. You will need an internet connection to obtain and install but after that Panda should be able to run, "offline". Very light on resources and unobtrusive unless a "nasty" tries to get through.

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 27, 2014
  5. VOSTRO

VOSTRO

i install the anti malware and super antispyware. it detects a lot of trojan, PUPs and PUM. now my unit is clean. but the problem is my task manager is hijack. i cannot resolve it with quiho. same with regedit. it is said on the log that once the regedit was disabled, it cannot be enable again. what should i do now?

with the antispyware, i try to uninstall it, but before i do that, i change its setting, i cannot remember it but its close to "do not show in start up" i guess. when i restart my computer the antispyware did not appear anymore. how will i remove it?

thanks.. :)

VOSTRO, Sep 30, 2014
  6. VOSTRO

VOSTRO

to aunty jack. i currently have quiho now but thanks to your suggestion. i appreciate it. :)

VOSTRO, Sep 30, 2014
  7. VOSTRO

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello Vostro,

I have tried quite a few anti-virus programs and keep now to Panda Cloud Free Antivirus. Very small RAM footprint, auto updates, and does trap things that some others don't. But, free anti-virus is free because some advanced features are not active. In daily use Panda is like it is not there, but it is working. You do have to register with a valid email address and make up a password. Then your Panda account can be activated again and again if you change OS or re-install or whatever.

As usual, what works for me might not work for another.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 30, 2014
  8. VOSTRO

Elizabeth23

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news...e-products-will-continue-to-protect-xp-after/

above link is the projected dates for some antivirus to stop supporting xp.

============

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-it-done-re-enable-windows-task-manager-in-xp-and-2000/

follow above instructions for task manager

=============

if you can boot to safe mode then you should still be able to access regedit

or follow instructions in the link below:

http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2011/04/enable-regedit-registry-editor.html

===============

This is my own opinion, but when a pc has been heavily infected, I like to wipe completely with DBAN, and then reinstall xp with a full format, this insures all infections are wiped.

Elizabeth23, Sep 30, 2014
Ask a Question