AMD Radeon HD 8750

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by Computer semi-expert, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Hey folks, been a while.

I came into possession of an AMD Radeon HD 8750 graphics card (the name is according to what a Linux Mint live CD told me in the device manager). I installed it in a Dell Dimension E521 that I have. Incidentally, the hard drive failed on the machine, so I am reinstalling XP (and Vista and 8.1!). I'd like to try to find drivers for this card for XP if possible, although it seems to work without drivers.

I wasn't able to dig up anything through Bing searches, so anyone who finds anything must be a better looker than me. :)

Thanks in advance!

Computer semi-expert, Oct 29, 2021
  2. Computer semi-expert

ClippyBeer

Unfortunately the only drivers for AMD HD 8750 are for Windows 7 & higher and Linux.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8750m-series-gpu

The video card will work with XP of course because XP installs basic VGA for video cards it can't identify/doesn't have drivers for. However you won't be able to select higher resolutions/bit depths or 3D hardware acceleration.

I suggest you try Snappy Driver Installer.

https://sdi-tool.org/development/

It's free, open source and has a HUGE database of drivers - I personally tested it on an old Gateway MD2601u laptop that originally came with Vista - after I installed XP on it I had no sound, WIFI, ethernet and basic VGA - Snappy found all the drivers (I had to use a USB WIFI adapter that came with its own XP drivers initially since Snappy uses the internet for search).

There's no guarantees it will find the correct driver and Snappy will often give you different versions of the same driver to choose so it'll be trail and error. I had to try 3 different sound drivers before I found one the worked on that laptop.

ClippyBeer, Oct 29, 2021
    priscus likes this.
  3. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Thanks, Clippy! I'll have to try Snappy. Possibly, Snappy will also install a few other missing drivers as well.

I'll report back once I've tested Snappy to see if it has the driver.

Computer semi-expert, Oct 29, 2021
  4. Computer semi-expert

ShinNoKabe

The final WinXP iCafe AMD driver supports up to HD7990
    R5 230 / R7 240 / R7 250 / R7 250X / R7 260X / R9 270 / R9 270 1024 SP / R9 270X / R9 280 / R9 280X
    HD8370D / HD8470D / HD8570D / HD8670D / and R9 370X,R9 370 & R7 360
    the driver itself is little hard to find as it is made for china

ShinNoKabe, Dec 20, 2022
  5. Computer semi-expert

Madeleine Takam

If you want to get Drivers to work on XP there is a way to do it. You need to modify the driver install yourself.

Here is a video by someone explaining how to do it.

I was at Mr Siamese Cat’s over the weekend and he has a computer running 32Bit XP with an Asus turbo GTX 970 with modified drivers running at 4K.

Matt Pilz has an old site up with help on modifying Nvidia drivers for XP.

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

Nvidia are well supported in the modding community, but the process is similar for AMD. Sorry I can’t help further, but I am strictly an Nvidia girl.

Good Luck

Madeleine Takam, Dec 20, 2022
Ask a Question