Alter boot menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Billforce, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Billforce

Billforce

After a clean install of XP SP1 I installed Nikon Capture 3.5 and it works perfectly but I needed some drivers etc, from SP2 so I installed SP2. Upon restart if I attempted to start Nikon Capture it crashed to BSOD. As part of Nikon Capture it also loads Nikon View 5 and View 5 recognized the camera and it works normally. I know from the past that the 'boot menu" for SP2 requires some alteration to the boot menu to run Capture 3.5 but I can't find the blog or post regarding the changes.
    I know Capture 3.5 is old but I can't get any help from either Windows or Nikon regarding this install problem. I need XP with Capture 3.5 to tether 2 cameras to my laptop.

Billforce, Dec 22, 2018
  2. Billforce

Elizabeth23

not sure what you mean by a boot menu for a camera, however uninstall all items pertaining to nikon, reboot, install or reinstall sp2, reboot twice, then install the nikon software,

Elizabeth23, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Billforce

jjndig

Try using XP SP2 fresh and then installing it. Might work. :)

jjndig, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Billforce

Billforce

Start menu in XP SP2 IE: My Computer, properties, advanced, settings at the bottom, then open the EDIT for start up. The start commands follow Windows XP, etc. and the last two items are NOEXECUTE, etc. This command line needs to be modified to allow Capture to run and I forget the exact words otherwise it blue screens. This is only specific to Capture 3.5, everything else runs normally. I went thru this years ago but I can't remember the exact changes and Nikon will not grant support on an obsolete product, nice of them HUH?

Billforce, Dec 22, 2018
  5. Billforce

Elizabeth23

I have altered the BOOT.INI file to disable
    SP2's no execute feature, and this has solved the problem

brian_m/2 from here:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threa...cessor-sp2-nikon-capture-system-crash.144673/

------------------

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/cannot-start-nikon-capture-4-editor-in-xp.104282/

asks if you are running any boot xp program

------------------

install guide

--------------

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.YMDCKE4TRlw

first item will get a pdf install guide

---------------------------

[boot loader]
    timeout=9
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

this is what my boot.ini looks like, the thread above wants you to delete theno execute, not sure why

---------------------

let me know if any of above works :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 23, 2018
  6. Billforce

Billforce

I'm sure it has something to do with no execute but only with SP2 or 3. The entire system runs fine with SP1 but SP1 lacks many of the other necessary apps and drivers. It's funny because with SP2 installed everything works perfect except the Capture program, in SP1 the camera works but he rest of Windows is really lacking. I'll try all the modifications in the "string".

Billforce, Dec 23, 2018
  7. Billforce

Elizabeth23

did you also try my first suggestion to completely uninstall anything nikon?

Elizabeth23, Dec 23, 2018
Ask a Question