Adding .NET Passport to User Account

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by DanimalG, Dec 21, 2013.

1. DanimalG

DanimalG

Hello all. I am using a Windows XP SP3 Home Edition setup (with all of the high-priority updates). I am attempting to add an established .NET Passport to my User Account (which is currently setup as Computer Administrator). However, when I attempt to do this, the .NET Passport Wizard does not let me choose a .NET Passport and instead it goes to "You're done! Your Windows XP user account is now set up to use the following .NET Passport: <passportname>" Although I was able to successfully set this up on other Windows XP computers in the past, is this function of Windows XP now defunct? It seems that the wizard attempts to contact an URL that is no longer valid. Any input on this would be appreciated, as I have been unable to determine why this is exactly happening.

DanimalG, Dec 21, 2013
  2. DanimalG

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 22, 2013
  3. DanimalG

DanimalG

Thanks for the response Elizabeth. I tried your URL, but I already looked at multiple of the websites the search comes up with. My guess is that something changed on Microsoft's side.

DanimalG, Dec 22, 2013
  4. DanimalG

Elizabeth23

are you receiving a specific error message?

is your pc clean?

what is your current antivirus?

it may be malware affecting your pc, please do the following:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

Elizabeth23, Dec 22, 2013
  5. DanimalG

DanimalG

I am not receiving any specific error, other than what I described already. Thus, I have discontinued my quest on this issue, since the rest of the system seems to be working satisfactory. BTW, I am using AVG Free 2014.

Thank you for your input :D

DanimalG, Dec 24, 2013
  6. DanimalG

Elizabeth23

have you always used AVG when you have set up .net password before?

one step you could try would be to disable your antivirus and then try to set up the .net thing.

AVG is not considered a very good antivirus, it you are happy with it that is fine, but Avast and or Microsoft security essentials are both free and work well.

let me know if it works after disabling the antivirus, and make sure you re-enable your antivirus after the attempt.

------------------------

another step would be to run checkdisk to see if maybe a system file became corrupted, if you do not have the recovery console installed, then do the following:

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again
    ===============

you can view chkdsk report in the event viewer/applications/winlogon

Elizabeth23, Dec 24, 2013
  7. DanimalG

DanimalG

Yes, I believe I have had AVG running before I setup the .NET Passport in the past. However, in this case, I did attempt to disable it to see if it would work (it did not change the results). I also tried running chkdsk, but this did not change the results. I will keep in mind the other anti-viruses.

A question, can one close a thread on this forum? If so, how can one do this?

DanimalG, Dec 24, 2013
  8. DanimalG

Elizabeth23

An administrator can lock it I believe, but mostly just state it's closed, I will not reply any more. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 24, 2013
  9. DanimalG

DanimalG

Closed - Adding .NET Passport to User Account

I will consider it closed now. I thank you for all of your feedback Elizabeth. :)

DanimalG, Dec 24, 2013
Ask a Question