Add-ons for XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Aug 7, 2014.

1. trimis

trimis

I am looking for suggestions of additional software for XP Pro. For example, I know about Microsoft Office, Windows Sysinternals, and Microsoft EMET. Anything similar I should look into getting?

trimis, Aug 7, 2014
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

for security??

I am using 360 Internet security by quihoo for my REAL time antivirus

I also have malwarebytes anti-exploit and malwarebytes antimalware installed

I have spywareblaster installed

for clean up I still use disc cleanup, but I do not check temp files , I like the option to clear all restore points except the last one.

then I use Defraggler and CCleaner from piriform

You should get an alternate browser, do not use IE, I use firefox

Also have WOT web of trust installed on my browsers so I can see at a glance if a website has a good reputation or not.

I use Adfender to stop popup ads

and Foxit reader for reading pdf's, has a smaller footprint than Adobe Reader.

===============

I had EMET installed at one time but did not like it. I could not tell what it was doing and it slowed my system down.

Elizabeth23, Aug 7, 2014
  3. trimis

trimis

Thanks, but I know about this sort of software, as Google was quite keen to inform me about it. In the case of EMET, and sysinternals, Google seemed to think it was on a need to know basis, and I didn't need to know. I stumbled across both by accident, and its this sort of stuff, either made by Microsoft, bought-out by them from another source, or given their seal of approval, that I want to know about...no telling how long it will take to stumble across this sort on my own!

As for what you mentioned, I plan on getting everything except malwarebytes antimalware. I prefer their competitor which does not have such a liberal attitude towards that brand of malware some call PUPs.

trimis, Aug 20, 2014
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 20, 2014
  5. trimis

trimis

Excellent, thanks! Not far enough along to know any "certain type of program" to ask about. Just looking to see what is out there.

trimis, Aug 26, 2014
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

Okay, let me know if I can help further :)

==

Elizabeth23, Aug 26, 2014
  7. trimis

fingerfood12345

MS Office might require you to buy a licence. Instead, check Libre Office; it's free, and I've used it for years, and haven't been able to find anything it can't handle.
    If you're looking for a small, strong, efficient, word processor, try Jarte; also free. Again, I've used it for years, and will use it long before I turn to Office.

fingerfood12345, Aug 26, 2014
  8. trimis

trimis

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into LibreOffice and Jarte...I like choice! Problem with both is I would have to learn how to use them, and my time is limited until I can get everything sorted out. Getting my first PC is a major undertaking and logistics nightmare! I already know Word 2003 as well as I'll ever need to. Can get 'Office 2003 Basic' used (with functional license) for under $50

trimis, Aug 26, 2014
Ask a Question