Activation key for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by mal4o, Jun 3, 2022.

1. mal4o

mal4o

Hi. Where can i find a working key that can activate my Windows XP? Windows XP is no longer available on Microsoft's official server, meaning I can't download it from a reliable source, nor I can buy a key. I downloaded Windows XP from Zamunda, but it requires an activation key. If Microsoft no longer sells activation keys, how do I get one?

Also, do you think its safe to download operating systems from torrent websites? The description of the torrent claims the OS is "untouched", which should mean the OS doesn't have any viruses, and it is in its original form as created by Microsoft.

mal4o, Jun 3, 2022
  2. mal4o

MisterEd

I have gotten a lot of things that seem OK archive.org aka The Wayback Machine. Here is an example.

Windows XP Professional SP3 x86
    https://archive.org/details/WinXPProSP3x86

Note that the above Windows XP ISO includes SP3. You can take an ISO without SPs and install them later. Then again you have to search for the SPs online but they are hard to find.

I have two Windows XP Pro keys but I bought them retail 20 years ago. There are places to get keys online but I can't say which ones are legit.

I just reinstalled Windows XP Professional last night. The hardest part was activating it.
    1. Automatic online activation did not work
    2. Telephone activation recommended that it send a link in a text message. I did that and on my phone I clicked on the link. I entered the set of 6-digit numbers. That failed. I was asked if I wanted to try live phone support. I said yes.
    3. Several minutes later I received a phone call from Microsoft Support. This time Windows XP activation worked.

MisterEd, Jun 4, 2022
  3. mal4o

priscus

You fared far better than did I.

Circa 2008, of all things, my computer got struck by lightning. Well, I guess a power surge from a near miss.

Nearby double glazed window exploded, and the sound was unlike thunder but like you might hear if many, many planks of wood crashed to the ground from a great height. Nearby mains socket and phone socket were black and smouldering/ smoking.

I thought the computer was a goner, but when I discovered the telephone itself was intact in spite of its (wall socket) PSU being fried, I took a deeper look.

Computer's PSU kaput, but I had another so could easily replace. Motherboard was fine. Memory failure was restricted to a single location, and Geil replaced the stick for free under their lifetime guarantee, even though I disclosed the cause of the damage. HDD and optical drive both wrecked and had to be replaced, and then I again had the machine working.

That is apart from the XP activation.

HDD had been replaced, so when I reloaded OS from the original CD, as expected, web activation failed. No problem thought I, tried the telephone activation route.

All I got from Microsoft was it does not activate because that key has been used. I told them of course it has, I am the user who had previously activated machine with that key.

So, I would relate the above account, only to get from MS the same reply.

Went round that circle a number of time before giving up and installing Linux instead.

So disgusted with way Microsoft treated me, that I have since helped many users to ditch MS and switch to Linux.

I do keep an old XP machine, mostly for interest: I make very limited use of it. Ditto Windows 10.

Will always now default to Linux!

priscus, Jun 4, 2022
  4. mal4o

tuller

Most sites does claims that Windows XP OS is untouched but you should still be cautions. However, in my case I needed to download Windows XP on my old laptop and while searching for it stumbled upon Softlay. In my personal experience it's totally genuine.

tuller, Jun 6, 2022
  5. mal4o

priscus

When people download Linux (a major route to acquire a distribution) they are able to verify that the file has not been tampered with, by using checksum techniques. (Has been incidents of files being hacked in the past)

https://docs.precisely.com/docs/sft...ProductUpdateSummary/source/about_sha256.html

Do Microsoft offer the same for downloads?

I guess these aftermarket suppliers are not offering such. I guess they easily could, but obviously at a cost.

priscus, Jun 6, 2022
  6. mal4o

tuller

So do we have the same mechanism in the Windows OS. Can I check if the downloaded software is tampered.

tuller, Jun 7, 2022
  7. mal4o

MisterEd

There are a lot of ISOs floating around. It is best to stick with the ones that were originally retail ISO downloads. With these ISOs there are official checksums so you can verify the ISOs yourself.

One program to check these is called Winhasher

winhasher
    https://github.com/gpfjeff/winhasher

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some references for ISO file names and chechsums for Windows ISOs

List of MD5/SHA1 hashes for various Windows OS ISOs
    https://www.jdhodges.com/blog/sha1-crc-md5-windows-isos/

Windows XP Home Edition (ISO file names and checksums)
    https://www.heidoc.net/php/myvsdump_name.php?family=Windows+XP&name=Windows+XP+Home+Edition

Windows XP Professional Edition (ISO file names and checksums)
    https://www.heidoc.net/php/myvsdump_name.php?family=Windows+XP&name=Windows+XP+Professional+Edition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded this ISO for Windows XP Home. The file is: en_winxp_home_x86_build2600.iso

en_winxp_home_x86_build2600
    https://archive.org/details/en_winxp_home_x86_build2600

Winhasher verified that the checksum matched the one in the reference above.

2022-06-09 12_08_22-WinHasher v. 1.6.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    MisterEd, Jun 9, 2022
    we3fan, xperceniol and priscus like this.
  8. mal4o

tuller

Sorry for late reply but i will try Winhasher on my PC to check it's result. And also thanks for sharing references it increased my knowledge.

tuller, Jun 13, 2022
  9. mal4o

MisterEd

I forgot to mention that before you test an ISO paste the expected checksum into the "Compare to" box. That way it will be able to compare it to the calculated checksum and tell you if they match.

MisterEd, Jun 14, 2022
Ask a Question