Acer 1640Z laptop.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Yiknaa, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

I am still running this laptop with Windows XP. In the last few weeks when starting it up, and it does not matter which browser or whatever I am using. It crops up every few minutes, about 10 mins or so, and seems to stop the browsers or files etc., until I click on the following "renedies". (See next sentence). Then up pops a warning on the screen :
    "msfeedssync.exe - Application Error" Followed by Instruction at "0x7e4195c8" referencing memory at "0x00000048" Memory could not be read. Then the 'pop-up' shows Click OK to 'terminate program'; or 'Cancel' to debug.
    Numerous times I have clicked either of those options, and it still reappears each time I start up the XP laptop.
    Is there anyway to rectify this problem ? I have searched the web re "0x7e........" and 0x00000..." etc. Suggestions are that it could be a virus, but I do not think so.
    Hoping someone can provide me with a solution.
    Thanks.
    [P.S. Learned on a Windows Vista, now have a Windows 7- use both regularly; and given the Acer XP laptop 4-5 years ago, explored that and still enjoy using it on a regular basis.]

Yiknaa, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

what version of IE are you using? if you are not at IE8 then download and install, get the updates from Microsoft updates

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=internet explorer 8

download the one that is 16.1 MB.

then download malwarebytes free and run a scan, it will install a trial version which you can delete the auto running through the settings or just uninstall after running

then post back after to see if the error is still occurring

Elizabeth23, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23. Sorry for the delay. Since your reply I have attempted 3 times to download the update from your link. but without success. Result being along the lines " not compatible with system."
    I have used Piriform Speccy, and it sows that installed is Internet Explorer 'Version 6'. I am positive in the past, last 4-5 years IE8 has been on this laptop.
    The pop message is still occurring about every 4 minutes. Just click on it to exit, it disappears then comes back again.
    If you have any other suggestions I would be grateful. Other than this 'minor' problem everything is working fine.
    I did run Malwarebytes twice on Saturday, - 1st a quick scan; followed by a full scan which took over 2 hours, but nothing was found.

Yiknaa, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Yiknaa

Yiknaa

Elizabeth23, Problem solved at last. I googled IE8 for XP and eventually succeeded with the 3rd link which had come up, and have updated IE successfully. Just having opened IE it is back to what it was, and which I immediately recognised as what I was used to prior to IE 6 version appearing.
    Many thanks for your help.

Yiknaa, Oct 14, 2018
  5. Yiknaa

Elizabeth23

you are welcome

Elizabeth23, Oct 14, 2018
Ask a Question