A Number of Portable Browsers

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by cornemuse, Apr 9, 2022.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

2. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

have not tried some but have looked at a few, not all of them say xp compatible. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2022
  3. cornemuse

cornemuse

Right.
    I have been using 'MyPal', mainly for Quora, (have to log in with a gOOGLE account), Quora runs much MUCH faster/smoother with MyPal. Its not portable tho, and I dont want to install it on every comp I have w/ i-net connections.

cornemuse, Apr 10, 2022
  4. cornemuse

ClippyBeer

MyPal IS portable - when you run the installer it asks you if you want to install it in portable mode. I have run it from USB flash drive on various computers without issues. All my bookmarks, extensions, history etc. are there even on Windows 10.

ClippyBeer, Apr 10, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  5. cornemuse

cornemuse

Did not come up when I installed it.
    What version is yours?

cornemuse, Apr 11, 2022
  6. cornemuse

ClippyBeer

[​IMG]

I am using 28.2.2 but all of Feodor's browsers (MyPal and Centaury) had the option to install as portable. Those are no longer available from his Github repository due to a dispute with Palemoon developer Moonchild.

There are other sites that claim to host MyPal but none of those are maintained by Feodor so that may be why there is no option for portable.

ClippyBeer, Apr 11, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  7. cornemuse

cornemuse

Dont know how I missed that!!
    Installed as portable-OK
    ver 29.3-0

Thanks

cornemuse, Apr 12, 2022
    xperceniol and Elizabeth23 like this.
  8. cornemuse

xperceniol

Just FYI ... when it comes to come of those sketchy installers, honestly, I'd rather use something like 7 zip to unpack it and take it from there rather than take a chance. Currently, for 360 Chrome, Mypal 68, Serpent, they are portable, but I'm not sure whom is behind the continuation of those old mypal installers as I see them on various sites still being offered at https://mypal-browser.org/release/ ... please use caution unless someone here trusts and can confirm they are safe to use.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Take care :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    xperceniol, Jun 8, 2022
  9. cornemuse

Compa

29.3.0 wasn't even the last version released either, that site is well out of date for some reason...

Is MP68 actually portable? I thought it still wrote things to Local Settings/Application Data (namely, like any other FF fork, making a Mozilla folder), could be wrong though...

Compa, Aug 13, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  10. cornemuse

xperceniol

Thanks for your conformation. Don't know, maybe somebody took that site over after Feodor2? On the main page there is a link to his https://github.com/Feodor2/mypal, so its strange. I do have 29.4.

You are right, though, it writes to appdata folders and to the registry. In fact, even if you run one of those old installers and select portable, its still writes to the registry .. at least the last time I checked. Haven't use it in a while but am testing MP68. Very promising; indeed :)

xperceniol, Aug 13, 2022
  11. cornemuse

xperceniol

Thank you I would only trust his https://github.com/Feodor2

...:cool:

xperceniol, Aug 13, 2022
  12. cornemuse

xperceniol

I think (perhaps) we need to (at some point) discuss (truly) portable browsers. I'm fine but I do obsessively watch my application and local appdata folder, and actually anything that changes on my system. Heck even malwarebytes writes a new driver each scan to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Un-hide and you'll see Malwarebytes SwissArmy and Malwarebytes Chameleon, and, and TrendMicro Common Module driver from a scan. Just discovered SMR 5.2.1.6 [copyright (c) 2017 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gosh what we take for granted sometimes :eek:

xperceniol, Aug 13, 2022
    Samir, TMTGTR and Elizabeth23 like this.
  13. cornemuse

Samir

I never worry about registry or any issues after running xp steadystate. And I just use portable ff52 and xchrome 45. They are limited in what they can access these days, but can still hit most sites. I'll also use slimjet portable sometimes, but it doesn't work with much more than xchrome 45.

Samir, Aug 22, 2022
    cleverscreenname and xperceniol like this.
  14. cornemuse

TMTGTR

I did a search for Mypal 29.4 I see nothing. Where did you guys get this?
    MyPal 29.3 is my go to browser. I'm using the MyPal 68 now for when 29.3 or Basilisk 52 can't work.

TMTGTR, Aug 22, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  15. cornemuse

xperceniol

You know, I've never had good luck with using steady-state and used it off-and-on but gave up as I like fully control to goof up my system ... mwaa-hahahahaa

All kidding aside:

Give Mypal a try (since you like FF) and 360V11 Arctic Foxie as you'll be impressed as you use chrome already. Slimjet is quite outdated for XP now.

Have fun :)

xperceniol, Aug 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  16. cornemuse

xperceniol

It was pulled very quickly when released because of the conflict from MC, so it was removed and only the few that got it saved it, otherwise, its not available anymore, but you're not missing much, it wasn't that great. IMO.

xperceniol, Aug 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  17. cornemuse

TMTGTR

Can I get a copy somewhere?

TMTGTR, Aug 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  18. cornemuse

TMTGTR

TMTGTR, Mar 5, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  19. cornemuse

Samir

The main feature of steadystate that I used is the ability to lock down the boot drive (and I think it can do other drives as well). So basically the boot drive is locked in its state and then I use a secondary partition to keep all the portable stuff which I run at will. :)

I looked into some of these but their ties to nation states turned me off when I first investigated them. I've noticed a lot of sites just refuse xp level browsers now and I'm having to bounce back and forth with my win7 system more and more which is a pain.

Samir, Mar 6, 2023
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  20. cornemuse

CurryFanXP

I don't know if it's what you're looking for but if youre only looking to view simple sites it hardly gets as portable as dillo/d+:
    The one-binary portable forms of these take up slightly less than a floppy disk's worth of space (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dplus-browser/files/Releases/dplus-0.5b/dplus.exe/download --this one) and I have confirmed personally it runs in systems as low as NT4.0 with as little as 32MB of RAM total, supposedly it goes down to NT3.51 though.

If you want a slightly more capable and yet small browser you can look into Netsurf as well, I believe there should be a windows fork that ive confirmed to work on XP. These two come in extremely handy on low resource systems when a simple query would get delayed eons by the overhead of the browser starting.

Just thought someone might be interested! ^_^

CurryFanXP, Oct 10, 2023
    Samir likes this.
Ask a Question