A lighter and hopefully more agile XP laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Hatboro, May 2, 2019.

1. Hatboro

Hatboro

I have a fully functional Gateway M280E (~ 2006 vintage) 'laptop', running XP TABLET PC EDITION 2005, V2002, with Service Pack-3. I'd like to pare-off some of the SW's features. Noodling around here at XPF, (Thank you Elizabeth23) I see software from Nlite could likely help the process of making a custom installation of XP, but it can't help me with removing components from my existing installation? Is there other SW that could guide and assist me, regarding removing SW that came packaged with what I've got on this laptop?

Hatboro, May 2, 2019
  2. Hatboro

Elizabeth23

attached is a zip folder with all my info on nlite, especially what not to remove from xp, it all depends on what functions you can do without. :)

Attached Files:

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2019
  3. Hatboro

trimis

Have a look at this https://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

trimis, May 13, 2019
  4. Hatboro

Hatboro

Tremis, Thanks for sending along the link to litepc.com. I got a kick out of the Registry-like roster of what they've packaged. I've been looking for a resource to acquire Microsoft's XP Recovery Console; naturally, 'cause it was for XP, they don't have it available for download anymore. Anyways, I scanned litepc's list, but Recovery Console isn't there.

It looks like you've been hanging around XPF long enough to have been exposed to Hiran's CD; I did download and burn a copy of that; it did lead me to a very good registry-related product, REGISTRY RESTORE WIZARD, which got me out of a heap of trouble earlier this week - it helped me fix in maybe 10 minutes what I'd been struggling with for over 2 days.

Cheers, Hatboro

Hatboro, May 13, 2019
  5. Hatboro

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 13, 2019
    Metalman likes this.
  6. Hatboro

Hatboro

Elizabeth, I've downloaded the xp_rec_con.iso. At Hiran's CD , I see links to SW to install .iso.'s Which one do I pick?

Thanks in advance, Hatboro

Hatboro, May 13, 2019
  7. Hatboro

Elizabeth23

once the iso is on your desktop then just burn to a cd with your program of choice, imgburn is good you just have to watch out for any added programs before clicking next.

I haven't used hiren's to burn before, would not have any idea which one is good, :)

Elizabeth23, May 14, 2019
Ask a Question