A classic o/s on a classic laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Dyehard, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Dyehard

Dyehard

I have Windows XP Professional installed on a ¨real¨ Thinkpad (IBM G40 - 3 GHz P4, 15¨ monitor, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD). It is protected from malware by the free version of AVG and Hitman Pro. I was going to install a Linux distro on it but decided to keep the incumbent XP ro onboard as none of the games I am fond of will install or run on Linux. Iḿ using an earlier version of Foxpro as a browser. The combo is lightening fast. The graphic/video is not quite up to modern computer standards as the G40s video card is only 64 MB. It was a $3000 machine NIB back in the day and like the old original IBMs built like a tank.

Dyehard, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Dyehard

ClippyBeer

That is one of Linux's biggest drawbacks. It easily rivals or surpasses Windows in productivity applications. I have reached the conclusion that hardcore Linux users are not PC gamers. In your case dual-booting XP/Linux might offer the right mix. I had XP/Ubuntu 12.04 dual-booting on an older computer years ago.

ClippyBeer, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Dyehard

Dyehard

I have several Linux PCs (consoles & laptops) and several PCs running Windows 10 and the latest & greatest. I will keep the legacy classics (real IBM G40 Thinkpad & Win XP Pro) together & unadulterated by the 21st century in the same ¨Jurassic park of computing¨ domain. I do a lot of my ¨innocent¨computing on the Thinkpad (surfing low risk websites & emailing) & haven´t been taken over by evil hordes of hackers as predicted by the ¨dump XP¨ panic promoters & fearmongers.

Dyehard, Aug 16, 2019
    Janice, SmilinDoug and tingspace like this.
  4. Dyehard

Dyehard

update:
    Unfortunately the HDD went south on the subject IBM G40 and I installed Linux Mint XFCE (32 bit) v 19.2 a little while ago on the "new" HDD . I wanted to keep running XP on that machine forever but sometimes fate takes things out of your hands. The XFCE is running very well. The laptop isn't a gamer but it does very well with its new O/S. Everything works but it isn't the same.

Dyehard, Oct 13, 2019
  5. Dyehard

Sixthofmay

I like classic XP on modern hardware. Eventually I hope to have a few M.2 SSDs but for now SATA SSDs will be ok. "for now" meaning once my credit cards are paid off, and I'm saving for a Tesla Model 3, the 0-60 in 3.2 seconds version.

Business class Thinkpads from around 2012 are my favorite laptop. Very well built and minimal bundled crapware. Install a SSD and they fly.

Sixthofmay, Oct 14, 2019
  6. Dyehard

Dyehard

My REAL IBM ThinkPad (G40) was already "long in the tooth" in 2012.
    Most laptops from its era are in landfills now but mine was a super computer when it was bought.
    I would often get "no s**t!!" when I told of its amazing attributes (2 GB RAM, 3 GHz P4, 80 GB IDE (pata) HDD). Now these "amazing attributes" enable it to barely keep up with multi-core crowd.

* Incidentally, I don't believe XP supports SATA 3. I presume SATA 3 drives are backwards compatible with earlier versions but popping a SATA 3 drive into a computer hosting XP would be a waste of money.

Dyehard, Oct 14, 2019
Ask a Question