A Challenge: Install Silverlight

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by spidersilva, Feb 22, 2014.

1. spidersilva

spidersilva

I'm trying to watch Netflix on my computer and you need to download Microsoft Silverlight to do so but it fails to install. Now if you've already had a Silverlight installed in the past or a corrupted one then that could prevent you from getting a new one and I checked my computer for a current Silverlight and couldn't find one. I already went to the Microsoft support website for help.
    And it tells you to download Microsoft Fix it or you could do it yourself, I chose to do it myself first and this is what the directions were: Let me fix it myself
    To resolve this issue yourself, follow these steps:

Click Start and type Notepad in the Search box
    Double-click on Notepadfrom the list of results above
    Copy and then paste the following text into Notepad.

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Silverlight /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100 /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{283C8576-0726-4DBC-9609-3F855162009A} /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl /f
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AgControl.AgControl.5.1 /f
    reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00} /f
    rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Silverlight"
    rmdir /s /q "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Silverlight"

Click File and Save As and type CleanSilverlight.cmd
    In the Save astype box, click All Files (*.*)
    In the Save in box, click Desktop, and then click Save
    On the File menu, click Exit
    Right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file on your desktop and click Run as administrator
    When the uninstall completes, right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file on your desktop and click Run as administrator a second time
    Once the uninstall has completed, click the link below to install the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight
    Delete the CleanSilverlight.cmd file from your desktop.

Now the part that says right-click the CleanSilverlight.cmd file and click Run as administrator is where I'm stuck at because I do not see that option after I right click.

The 2nd attempt I did was to download the Fix it which I did but it was a diacab file and no program on my computer can open that. Thanks for reading this challenge in trying to install Silverlight so that I could watch Netflix, hope we get this right.

spidersilva, Feb 22, 2014
  2. spidersilva

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 22, 2014
  3. spidersilva

spidersilva

I said this was a challenge. Silverlight doesn't show up in add/remove programs, I also have Revo Uninstaller and it doesn't show up there as well. I also used CCleaner and cleaned the registry in both user accounts since I have 2 accounts on the computer and I notice I got rid of Silverlight files and registry files in the 2nd account which CCleaner got rid of them. So I tried to install again thinking it's going to work but same thing happened. I started my windows installer as well. It doesn't even look like it's trying to install, when I click install, it immediately says installation failed.

spidersilva, Feb 22, 2014
  4. spidersilva

Elizabeth23

go to start, run, and type in Msiexec, then click ok, dialog box will open with what version of installer is on your pc, it should be version 4.5.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-failed/972054f6-7644-4414-aadd-1fd0aaecf092

have you read the thread above, one solution was to try the clean up you have already installed and tried, (by the way just click on the cmd file you do not need to run as administrator if you are on an administrative account.) it is in an xp forum, so it must be okay for xp.

another was to clear each line from regedit.

do you know how to delete entries from regedit??

go to start, run, type in regedit,

in regedit, go to edit, find, type in silverlight, then click find next

each time a line is highlighted with silverlight, right click and choose delete,

then go to edit and click find next again, do this until you get a dialog box saying finished searching through the registry.

NOTE: create a restore point first.

=================

another solution was to create a new administrative account and install from there. It will be installed for all users.

---------------

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en-us

another solution was to go to the link above and download a different mr. fixit to do this for you.

-----------

the thread also has a link to contact microsoft for silverlight problems but since xp will not be supported after april 2014 from the comments in the thread, it appears they are charging even though silverlight fix is supposed to be free. but you can give it a try if the above solutions do not work.

Elizabeth23, Feb 23, 2014
  5. spidersilva

spidersilva

Problem solved. I created a new administrative account and downloaded Silverlight from there and it installed. I checked my other account which I always use and went to Netflix and checked if it installed there and it did. But my computer doesn't have enough ram to play the videos, CPU usage goes up to 100%, time for me to get a new computer with at least 4gb of ram. Thank you in taking to time to try and fix this issue also I have another question: If I delete the new administrator account I just made, will that delete Silverlight and won't be able to use it on my other accounts?

spidersilva, Feb 23, 2014
  6. spidersilva

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 24, 2014
Ask a Question