360 Total Security Avira scan result

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Overflow, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Overflow

Overflow

Hey!

So, I have a clean install of Windows XP Professional from yesterday.

I havent installed or browsed anywhere beyond youtube and a few Xp related forums.
    But I guess infections can happen quickly. Ive also only browsed using Firefox.

Anyhow, the scanresult gives me 2 threats, and Im unsure if its results that are false positives or if its a real threat;

VER.DLL Tampered
    WFWNET.DRV tampered.

Thoughts?

Overflow, Jul 29, 2018
  2. Overflow

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 29, 2018
    Overflow likes this.
  3. Overflow

Overflow

Hah, thats a great tool! Never used something like this, and it tells me that the 2 files are clean. Atleast according to the scans.

Overflow, Jul 29, 2018
  4. Overflow

Elizabeth23

great, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 29, 2018
  5. Overflow

Overflow

Hey again!

So, this is a more general question;

I have a tendency of insisting on paying for services I use regulary, out of principle and appriciation of developers.

Since I have no past knowledge or expirience with Malwarebytes and 360 Total Security, what do people here think regarding these programs and need to register/support them? Is it large faceless companies etc?

Secondly;

To what extent is XP safe or unsafe online? I expect quite unsafe, and as such, I disconnect from the internet whenever Im done with that I need to do online with it. So I dont stay online for long generally. Nor do I do things that requires login's.

Overflow, Jul 31, 2018
  6. Overflow

Elizabeth23

security is dependent on the person pushing the keys. so far have been pretty lucky and I am online 24/7, I do not mind the time it takes to reinstall xp, which I do at least once a year. but 360 catches and quarantines virus's when I download something.

I have both of the programs, free, yes it would be nice to pay for the program, but I have a very strict budget and if I can get something for free, then I will take it. Malwarebytes has been highly recommended since its beginning, 360 is rated pretty high, but there are a lot of detractors who do not want to use anything Chinese.

I am at several forums and they all require logins, so how do you post here??

Elizabeth23, Jul 31, 2018
    Overflow likes this.
  7. Overflow

Overflow

I got dualboot, so usually posting from Windows 10.

Altho, sounds like XP is safe too if you are critical with your behaviour. I do also reinstall atleast once a year.

Overflow, Jul 31, 2018
  8. Overflow

Elizabeth23

I like to play around with my xp and sometimes I screw something up and cannot remember what I did, :), so I am used to reinstalling, I have tried several of the free programs for imaging my harddrive, but have not found any I like or that I can understand, If my xp desktop fails anytime soon I will be forced to go to 10, but hope to stay with xp for as long as I can.

Elizabeth23, Aug 1, 2018
  9. Overflow

Overflow

Yeah, Ive reinstalled Windows so many times over the years. Ive decided tho, the day Windows 10 is obsolete, Im going with Linux for sure. Cinnamon Mint looks good. Im probably going with it this year.

But Windows XP is staying to, since its required for the old programs I need.

Overflow, Aug 2, 2018
  10. Overflow

Elizabeth23

okey dokey, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 2, 2018
Ask a Question