30 SECONDS AND SHUTS OFF

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Richcann, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Richcann

Richcann

I have an HP 754N running XP. After not using for about 6 months I hooked up and started. It starts and runs about 30 seconds and shuts off. If I try to start it runs maybe 10 seconds and shuts down. 3rd try runs 1 second. If I wait 10 or 15 seconds it's back to the 30 seconds. I replaced power supply, no change. I tried different HD same problem. I'm at a loss. What is left? I have a newer Gateway that I am using and the old XP is just for a few things Xp does that Win 10 doesn't. Friend suggested heat, but 30 seconds? It is kinda dusty, but 30 seconds?

Richcann, Nov 24, 2017
  2. Richcann

ImWolf

Definitely sounds like a heat related issue to me.... I would leave cmos related auto shut-off features enabled while checking for fans properly working first (CPU fan especially). I would also check the system clock in the cmos setup to see if the time/date are correct to start with, and if they repeat after cold boot. (failed cmos battery can cause all sorts of little issues).

Also note, dust is a very good conductor!!! You might want to unplug that unit and give it a good cleaning.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    ImWolf, Nov 24, 2017
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question