[10&XP DualBoot] Invalid boot.ini ntoskrnl.exe missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by tasnim_tamim, Jan 15, 2019.

1. tasnim_tamim

tasnim_tamim

Hi there,
    Attempted to dual-boot Windows XP SP3 Nov2013 on my Samsung N150P netbook with pre-existing Windows 10 installation. My initial plan is installing XP on this 10 installed machine on a different 21GB partition and using EasyBCD, make a Win10 and WinXP dualboot. Have Windows 10 installed on a 95GB C: partition and Windows XP on 21GB D: partition.

But however, after the installations "Copying files" part the PC rebooted to this error -
    Invalid boot.ini
    and some error message with starting with the C: drive letter
    afterwards
    Windows could not start bgecause the following file is missing or corrupt
    <Windows Root>/Windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

For this I can't complete the Windows XP installation. To restore my BCD to at least get to boot on Windows 10, I had to use my phone's DriveDroid and boot-rescue-disk linux to burn Windows 7 iso on my USB thumb drive and then using BCDEdit to restore it.

I had tried to dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7 before in the past on the same machine, and it worked fine (though it had the same error, once I gotten rid of Ubuntu from my multi-boot system and used EasyBCD to recover the BCD).

I have tried everything I could possibly can, like writing a boot.ini file on that D: partition's root directory and copying the ntoskrnl.exe on the root and windows file of the partition (I should mention that ntoskrnl.exe is present on D:\WINDOWS\system32, even though the error says I don't).

At this point I am clueless. Is there anyone who can help me in this situation please? Thanks a lot.

I used -
    16GB USB Thumb drive to burn the .iso
    Installed Windows XP Professional x86

My spec -
    CPU - Intel Atom N550
    GPU - Intel GMA 3150
    RAM - 2GB
    HDD - 300GB

tasnim_tamim, Jan 15, 2019
  2. tasnim_tamim

Computer semi-expert

What, if any, parameters does your boot.ini file have for XP? Sometimes the order of the parameters can cause trouble.
    (Assuming you have an XP CD) follow the steps in this article: http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp

Computer semi-expert, Jan 15, 2019
Ask a Question