Why do you still use XP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by xperia, Jan 5, 2014.

1. xperia

TMTGTR

I like the intentions of ReactOS https://reactos.org/
    But it seems to me for now that it is not past NT 5.2 app compatibility.
    Interestingly in their latest News regarding NT6+:
    "...A group made up of Timo Kreuzer, Justin Miller, and other developers and contributors alike are developing the necessary APIs for compatibility with modern programs..."
    It would be great if this project was fully realized, a stake though the heart.

TMTGTR, Nov 18, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  2. xperia

Samir

All I can say is 'you're doing it wrong'.

1. Never ran into this on any of the xp systems I use.
    2. Running 2560x1600 as I type, and have run 4k before.
    3. Youtube is funny so I wouldn't equate that to an xp issue. On a first generation xeon system I have with a gtx280 gpu, youtube runs better than on an i7-2680 laptop I have--youtube does what it wants.

Samir, Nov 21, 2023
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  3. xperia

Samir

OS/2 was IBMs real solution for the DOS-Windows era, but it was perfected too late, and I'm afraid it is still suffering from the same fate. Still, for those of us that don't need to be bleeding edge, it's probably great, but then so is just running something older.

Samir, Nov 21, 2023
  4. xperia

TMTGTR

I use Invideous for YT viewing.
    https://redirect.invidious.io/

TMTGTR, Nov 22, 2023
  5. xperia

cleverscreenname

My #1 reason as well, exactly, thanks for posting!

cleverscreenname, Nov 25, 2023
  6. xperia

cleverscreenname

AnyDesk :) .com

7. xperia

cleverscreenname

On XP (and other OSs) I love Glarysoft Quick Search. It searches all local hard drives (that you checkbox) for your search string with each character you type, finishing in less than 1 second. It does this by reading the MFT on NTFS drives directly, instead of searching through folders like the XP UI does. FAT32 is a little slower in Quick Search, but results still show up after several seconds. Overall, so much faster than watching the XP UI animated crawl through each folder one at a time, artificially slowed down, just like Win98 new PNP hardware detection compared to WinME detection.

8. xperia

cleverscreenname

Why would you want to watch youtube "live" and sit thru all the ads? Download the video in ANY resolution with jDownloader (I install it to a ramdrive) and watch it offline, on ANY device, with zero lag/buffering/stuttering/jerkiness/out-of-sync BS.

xperceniol likes this.
  9. xperia

Hunter2021

Personally I think XP is outdated. The last official CPU to support XP was Ivy Bridge (Intel 3rd gen Core). That CPU sucks in the modern time. Cannot play 4K videos. Cannot play 10-Bit 1080p videos at 60fps.

Hunter2021, Dec 18, 2023
  10. xperia

xperceniol

Yes, very limited on what we can do now with it, I don't know. I quite enjoy Zorin OS Linux for what I can't do with XP. Do you have a favorite Linux you use?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    xperceniol, Dec 18, 2023
  11. xperia

Mr Siamese Cat

20230528_073953.jpg
    I run Windows XP in 4K if I feel like it. I use an Nvidia 980GTX. This card has been covered extensively on these forums.

For example, here by Madeleine.

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/windows-xp-7-10-11-system-suggestions.934789/

I admit Windows XP 32Bit is only good for

Mathematica, Revit, AutoCad, SolidWorks, Photoshop, Adobe Premier, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Crysis and every game other than Witcher 3 - which was the first 64bit game.

Other than that, about 200 hundred plus other engineering and scientific programs. Oddly enough the American military, MI6 and GCHQ still use Windows XP. But then it is more secure “Out of The Box” than anything from windows 7 to Windows 11.

I do not expect to be retiring my Windows XP 32Bit machines until I die, which according to my expensive Consultants could take up to 20 years.

I use Windows 10 64Bit, but most people would not be able to tell that it wasn’t XP, as I use ShellFolderFixUI and Classic Shell. My Windows 10 system never updates never needs to update and will be usable for the next 20 years like my XP systems. One locks down 10 with “Hosts” Mine has well over 8000 entries. The other way is hardware firewall.

I have total control over Windows 10, as I use the “TakeOwnership” registry hack.

So basically, I converted Windows 10 to Windows XP.

It allows me to use Office Enterprise 2021 and all the latest 64Bit Adobe programs. (Adobe Acrobat DC 64 Bit) being the first time Adobe actually managed to produce good 64 bit code.

As I don’t live in Florida, Brazil or the Congo and in the UK the three laws of thermodynamics exist, it doesn’t really matter if I have a couple of computers running except on the 4 days once per year the temperature actually requires the air conditioning on.

Finally, Linux is an absolute joke regarding security, as it based to some extent on free open-source software. If anyone was caught on any site I have worked on with Linux on a dongle, if they were lucky they would just be instantly sacked, but occasionally the police have been called and the idiots have been arrested.

Mr Siamese Cat, Dec 18, 2023
    Madeleine Takam and xperceniol like this.
  12. xperia

xperceniol

That is impressive!

I'm sorry (maybe its me this morning and you are certainly entitled to your opinion and please understand others might not agree) but I don't understand this, "If anyone was caught on any site I have worked on with Linux on a dongle, if they were lucky they would just be instantly sacked, but occasionally the police have been called and the idiots have been arrested"

?

Did I get this right? do you mean the police were called just for using linux on a site you worked on and just from a dongle? Why? Arrested for what? Did/do you feel that is somehow bad behavior on the part of the person viewing site you've worked on? When I use Linux I use a live DVD and visit sites and read youtube (mostly) do you view people using Linux as malicious in some way?

Anyway, no worries and no rush or need to reply and sorry for all the questions.

Have a happy holiday and nappy new year if we don't hear from you sooner :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    xperceniol, Dec 19, 2023
  13. xperia

xperceniol

^I hope I didn't come across as confrontational because that was not at all my intention to do so because I'm simply not that kind of person and I'm just a curious 50 year old sometimes and I still consider myself to be learning something new every day from knowledgeable folks such as yourself . :cool:

xperceniol, Dec 19, 2023
  14. xperia

Mr Siamese Cat

Most companies have it in their employment policy, that theft, vandalism and or sabotage are prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law now. This usually means now that “entering a site or a manufacturing plant equipped” will mean instant dismissal. British Petroleum, ICI and any pharmaceutical plant will have you held and arrested if you are caught “Equipped”

A Linux operating on a USB stick is there for just two purposes. To cause millions of pounds/dollars’ worth of damage, or industrial theft.

Until I retired with cancer, I worked in Oil and Gas, we took that sort of thing a tad more seriously. We tended to view people caught with hacking or theft devices as terrorists, a bit like the Armed Forces. If you want to know what the American Military do to you, when they catch you, email Chelsea Manning for advice.

Feel free to explain why you visit companies’ sites, or manufacturing facilities with a Linux DVD operating system? Do the people employing you - know? Are you not checked in by security? Do you not have to sign in? I haven’t been on any large or even medium scale site in the last 20 years without having to do an “Induction” All that small print you sign off on every time you walk, or drive on to site – I can almost guarantee, says “We will prosecute you for theft, sabotage, reckless or dangerous behaviour.”

Most companies consider Linux unsafe. I do. My Android phone a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra came with 65GB of Linux garbage already installed. I am not daft enough to use it for banking.

Enlighten everyone, as to which versions of Linux distributions have traceable accountability?

Businesses don’t use Linux for good reasons. It basically works out more expensive and less secure. There are literally thousand of articles on the Web as to why this is so.

Money isn’t really interested in Student and University hobbyists touting Linux. It considers money first, second and last.

The only Linux used with big money is the locked down bespoke kind – that really is just a continuation of UNIX, it sits on mainframes those boxes that run the banking system. “Joe public” doesn’t get to use it or have any legitimate interest in using it.

Finally: Big business takes things seriously. If it cost millions or billions to a company, they get really vicious. I had to give evidence in Court in 2008 against Apple and Adaptec for their stupidity and then their silly “middle class denials” for BP. Adaptec was the small guy. They ceased trading. You can destroy “Joe Publics” hard drives. Try doing that to corporations with money.

See below PDF, of internal email that ended Adaptec.

I hope that is comprehensive enough answer.

Attached Files:

Mr Siamese Cat, Dec 19, 2023
    Madeleine Takam likes this.
  15. xperia

xperceniol

Wow ... I (truly) had no idea. I'm not criminal and only use it for personal usage for what XP won't do, but after this posting from you; Kind Sir, I'll have to give this more thought and this (definitely) changes my innocent view(s) about going forward using linux on DVD (I have the DVDs and I'm trying to make use of them) to simply watch youtube or visit sites just for enjoyment; peroid! Sorry, I'm still trying to process everything you wrote and if I can I'll try to reply with something intelligent and I'll read over the PDF file when I'm more coherent and that is definitely not the case atm, and to be honest, I'd like to hear from others more experienced on using linux because I've been told I'm not the only member using it here; but to be honest my daily driver is still going to be XP for as long as I can because I find Linux to be more of a hassle to configure for simple browsing usage and not worth the trouble most of the time and that is all.

That being said: I hope you're doing alright in your battle with Cancer and you will continue to fight.

xperceniol, Dec 19, 2023
  16. xperia

xperceniol

On second thought, I think I'll exit the conversation and leave it to others here if they chose to chime in on this topic ... otherwise I guess we'll consider it a personal choice if others - given what you wrote - still decide to use linux going forward.

Thank you for the information and have a nice day, sir and be well.

Sincerely Yours,

Sal

xperceniol, Dec 19, 2023
  17. xperia

Hunter2021

Hit the nail on the head right on. Linux is even worse spyware than Windows 10/11. Years ago, I gave Ubuntu a try and noticed right around midnight every night, my LAN connection showed unprecedented uploads of several hundred MB's worth of data. This was WAY before online cloud storage services like OneDrive and Google Drive became a thing, so NO, Ubuntu was not trying to backup my data to the cloud...!

In light of this, the only Linux distro I deem as safe for online banking is Deepin Linux. Let's suppose Deepin is Spyware tied to the Chinese Communist Party (which I'm 99% certain it's NOT, but let's suppose it anyways)... Erm, you notice most banks have top notch security validation checks and tools. No way any one bank will allow some anonymous user with IP address from China access and do things to my bank accounts. It's just not possible unless the user lives in the same country, state, and city as my bank's branch.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    Hunter2021, Dec 21, 2023
  18. xperia

xperceniol

Ugh ... good grief this is really something to hear - good to hear from others in either support or not regarding linux.

Hmmm ... never tried Deepin but will think about it.

Thanks for your input and I look forward to knowing what others also feel but I wonder how many members are even left here sometimes.

Again, food for thought. :confused:

xperceniol, Dec 21, 2023
  19. xperia

cleverscreenname

Of course Windows XP is outdated. That's what makes it so good! I've never seen a computer or phone update improve anything, it's always a downgrade with more annoyance and usually less performance. (and of course, absolutely less control)

Anyways, I'm not even old yet, and I'll never be able to tell the difference between 1k and 4k video. Maybe on a Jumbotron screen at a sports stadium, but I don't go to those either. 10-bit color depth is merely a filesize efficiency gain over 8-bit, in exchange for a higher multitude of processing requirements.

Note: no personal offenses intended here, I value all our forum members, I'm just engaging in a random, logical, thought provoking conversation. All of our opinions are welcome!

cleverscreenname, Dec 22, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
  20. xperia

xperceniol

<OT> enjoy/appreciate your youth because one day you'll wake up and wonder where did all the years go like me.:eek: <OT>

xperceniol, Dec 22, 2023
Ask a Question