What are your best memories of using XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by 7toXP, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 7toXP

garryt

95 to xp sorry to see it go loved the 32 bit

garryt, Sep 27, 2016
  2. 7toXP

emile44

playing on 30 full bf1942 servers when i had my first win xp rig in 2002 ;/

today i play alot of fhsw its very good mod for bf1942 even better as bf1

emile44, Sep 29, 2016
  3. I just noticed a mistake on my comment, for some reason I called U.b. funkeys webkinz, dont know how I got the two mixed but ok...

Skeleton11223, Jan 12, 2017
  4. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

Here is my full blown xp on a modern system.

I just like it! I'm a programmer and I enjoy working in XP. It just has that 16-bit capabilities for developing softwares. I'm backwards like that and went to college in the 1990's. So I'm kinda getting older in years. I don't like to change too much. Back then they were developing for MS-DOS and early Windows 95. I remember Lotus 1-2-3 dBase Pascal C etc in my programming years of studies and the computers didn't even have graphics that I could remember back then. However a little off topic I did remember graphics on the Atari. XP is just somehow a joy to use. Ever since it came out I always remember the ding ding ding ding sound at startup hehe

I been using Virtual XP for the last 2 years. The last time I used true XP on a native system is about 3 to 5 years ago on a laptop. Today at present I'm using XP virtually within Windows 10.

The attached picture is XP active with full screen mode. So it looks like native mode. It even runs all the softwares so far like regular XP so far so fair.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    tienkhoanguyen, Jan 13, 2017
  5. 7toXP

priscus

I miss the hand assembling of machine code via toggle switches on the front-panel.

priscus, Jan 13, 2017
  6. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

If you miss the hand assembling of toggle switches you could maybe see if some old places have them and work there. I know there are a few recent companies within the last ten years that continue to use old technologies. I forget the name like COBOL continues to be in use in some places for businesses. These days you here C and Visual Basic all the time.

As for as machine. Hand assembling instead of programming by keying so you are actually switching a knob is what I am getting? I am sure they continue to keep it around for memories sake. I continue to use technology from the 1980's to program for Windows XP today.

The pictures is a modern computer of Microsoft Windows 10 with a hybrid of Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP2 within through VMware. If you can't get old hardware I suggest VMware for Microsoft Windows 10. Currently there is a free version to host your Windows OS so hint hint get your's before they go paid.

Attached Files:

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 13, 2017
  7. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

My best memories of XP was when I had a real rig. I remember I think it was a Toshiba laptop with an ATI gpu in it. It ran hot. Wow! I mean it had coolers in it (seriously... those who knows they exists knows what I'm talking about). These days it's hard to find 32bit XP. All the mobo are 64bits. It sucks.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 14, 2017
  8. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

Another time is when I had a tower. It had 80gb IDE HDD in it. It had NVIDIA at the time. I totally cherished that GPU. Somehow I got it to fit into the 8x slot or something. It was years ago. Like maybe 5 years ago. 32bit XP back then. However while I had the case opened and installing the GPU I was working on the wires and short circuited it by touching the case with the hot side. It sucks! hehe AGP slot. That's it. It was call AGP slot with 2x 4x or 8x speed. Something like that.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 14, 2017
  9. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

Well here is my basic program that illustrates how small the frame size dimensions are (320x200 VGA). So programming in MS-DOS has its limitations. All comments are welcome. Do you like it? If not I might not have a choice if I can't adapt and get into Windows programming. The only other alternative is if I use the fullscreen mode and that continues to be in MS-DOS days except the dimensions are now fits XP. If you count the dots on the screen it is really scaled from (320x200) to (1280x800) or what have you on your end. It really is 320x200 if I use the fullscreen mode.

https://www.mediafire.com/?1pq8by4t27tvzqf

However if you have Microsoft Windows XP 32bit installed this single program works just the way it is.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 22, 2017
  10. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 22, 2017
  11. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

My next installment working over time to learn XP programming.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ci119bwhfl44lu9/Thi.exe

It is a drawing program taken from the internet. Don't worry if it says 'virus'. It is a false positive. I don't write viruses. What you see is what you get.

Unless someone sneaked it into my program? That is the only way.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 23, 2017
  12. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

This is developed partly in Windows XP and tested in XP. Please note 32bit XP has been tested although it is a 16bit program it works in 32bit XP. If you have 64bit XP it might not work.

https://www.mediafire.com/?hbnb95d6qq8y7o7

In this 16bit program it is utilizing the full XP processor according to the best of my knowledge. I am not sure if it is just single processor or if it actually includes multiprocessor like quadcore. If you run the old program that is fullscreen you should notice it is slower than this one. The scoring system is a little different. There is a cheat mode that is beneficial to both sides. If you could get Mary between inside the left and right frames of the left picture of my mother the scoring increases dramatically. Also the key h stands for help where you can see the current status of the scores of both sides and the keys you need to use for the game.

https://www.mediafire.com/?hbnb95d6qq8y7o7

Once again I can't stress enough that this works slowly on MS-DOS unless it has a fast processor while on XP it works because it has MS-DOS built into the 32bit system. So it really runs under 32bit XP. The surprising thing is other Windows doesn't seem to carry this particular feature that enables old and ancient programming language to be used. In this instance Borland Turbo C 2.01 and Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 that has been developed back in the 80's or such time.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 23, 2017
  13. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 24, 2017
  14. 7toXP

tienkhoanguyen

Well I have only been able to copy a Windows program that works on XP up to this point in time. It is true 32bit. And 64bit are possible too.

Jesus Christ! It is a long range goal of mine to be able to do graphics in Windows. I'm looking at a predicted 20 year gap between now and then. The reason I give for 20 years is because I am old. I am lucky if I can remember boring programming stuffs.

Two years ago something happened that catapulted my learning abilities. I don't know the reason however I am proficient in Borland Turbo C 2.01 and Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1. These two programming languages were before XP came into existence. Although XP came about 20 years later these two languages are still backwards compatible when using XP. So that is why you see I am able to work and product graphics that are like those video arcades pixel type. In my opinion they are classics. However I am just afraid they are not as attractive as Windows millions of colors and high resolutions and that brings me to why I want to possibly upgrade to Windows programming instead of staying with the Borland products that I have been using for the last two years.

The point I am making is sometimes we are having fun in XP or whatever our system yet we take it for granted. If it works and we are not thinking about it then maybe it is a blessing. My uncle who I consider my dad says the trash people takes away our trash yet we don't think anything of them. Their work is dirty and that is why we overlook them. However if no one takes out our trash it would pile up and bugs and flies and all sorts of junk will start coming around our place. At that time we see we shouldn't have done away with the trash people.

A little off topic however I saw a brief reading of the Women's march standing up to Donald Trump. I think it is a good thing women are fighting back and I just wanted to add that please be careful you don't turn into the brute that some of us guys turn into.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 25, 2017
    jim davis likes this.
  15. 7toXP

jim davis

nothing, I am posting this on xp, its the least autistic machine they ever made. but I cant get you tube to play on it and can only down load about 1 3rd of their videos, IS THERE A CURE FOR KEEP FIREFOX AND STILL USING XP TO PLAY AND DOWNLOAD VIDS

jim davis, Sep 21, 2019
  16. 7toXP

jim davis

SOME OF THE BRUTISHNESS IS GENETIC, SOME IS TESTOSTERONE PSYCHOSIS
    SOME IS EARLY CHILDHOOD ABUSE, some is adult infantile disorder, these jackasses afraid of their own life saving "Sentimentality" are on the wax and not the wane. and many sexual deviates have a above average IQ as part of the disease and use it to make mega bucks. . its a good thing to let a woman know its scares the hell out of you as a man too, never try to control a woman, tell her the truth-you need her so much it scare you.........sex is life saving intimacy, it heals, it give us patience and wards off disease, its the last mysticism left in a pop culture world. Harvey was a terrorist, he molested men everywhere by putting more fear between us all,

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    jim davis, Sep 21, 2019
  17. 7toXP

jim davis

reach back and just unplug the dam machine off, same with a bug page, many times at restart you are given a option to "Continue" don't click "no" CLICK THE WHOLE DAME BOX OR PAGE OFF RED X FAST

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    jim davis, Sep 21, 2019
  18. 7toXP

SandwichSlayer

When my dad got his Windows XP Media Center Edition, I was about 4 years old, so the only things I knew how to do was play 3D Pinball and beg my dad let me play flash games. Anyway, I remember that the startup and shutdown sounds would scare the living sh!t outta me. My dad used to tease me about it, by saying "You'd better run" while opening up the shutdown options menu. Sometimes I wouldn't make it up those basement stairs in time, and hear the now smile-inducing sounds, then go crying to my mom.

SandwichSlayer, Oct 14, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  19. 7toXP

Sixthofmay

Best memories of XP:
    A Windows Explorer and Search that works reasonably well.

Able to copy/move large files to mapped drives on remote mountpoints on RAMDisks (XP doesn't pre-free space check). Some of us have many drives and PCs and long ago ran out of drive letters with business as usual methods.

Getting the codecs from Arcsoft installed without installing Arcsoft (bloatware like Real Player or iTunes but worse). That way I could make eac3to fully functional and able to rip Blurays with DTS-HD audio to FLAC. It was the only program that could do it and you had to use a specific version of DLLs (Arcsoft v2.1.6.113 ASAudioHD). This was years before MakeMKV came out and made ripping easy, and before MPC-HC and FFDShow could handle DTS-HD natively.

Nero 7 Suite. Not absurdly bloated and was also required by eac3to. Found my copy on eBay for about $20. Has an excellent CD-DVD-Bluray burner (all obsolete with inexpensive large harddisks).

Trivial to automate apps with AutoIt 3 (not so easy on later OSes).

Able to share external USB drives on the network (try this with Win7 or later, doesn't work).

Able to prevent autorun by holding down the left shift key.

Able to simultaneously record from 10 (or more) Hauppauge HDTV tuners on one box with zero bad frames (as reported by VideoRedo). Windows 7 can't even handle two tuners.

Always fast (my 5GB pagefile.sys is on a RAMDisk using RAM XP cannot see).

Needless to say, XP is my main OS and will be until the day I die.

Sixthofmay, Oct 24, 2019
  20. 7toXP

Sixthofmay

Not really unless the alternate XP browsers work (I have yet to try any). Most sites play fine on Linux Mint + Firefox. If not, I use Windows 7 and the latest Firefox or Chrome.

I did notice Youtube recently fixed playback on XP with Firefox! That's right, after HTML5 video was broken for 2 years, they fixed it to work on XP. I'm shocked really, that they paid a programmer or 2 to get it working again for the millions of folks still using XP.

Stream capture on XP is largely broken. Only youtube-dl works on Youtube (they just put out a new version Oct 22, 2019 to fix audio).

Create some .bat files to make using youtube-dl easier. Some people use ffmpeg to Join the streams. I use mp4box but recently became concerned that it's recompressing the audio (need to test and research more). Someone has likely written a GUI wrapper for youtube-dl. Post if you know of one.

There are lots of other Youtube downloaders, but I haven't tried any yet. I use to use Flashgot until the developer jumped ship.

It doesn't matter that much now since Youtube cut the audio and video bitrate to 1/2 to 1/4th what it was in 2013 to 2015. I have videos recorded back then with 6Mbps video and 254Kbps audio. Google claims they never offered such high bitrates, but I have hundreds of videos that say otherwise. The higher bitrate makes a huge difference in quality.

I'm becoming capture illiterate on many sites now. Even my licensed copy of VideodownloadHelper on Win7 x64 with the latest Chrome and Firefox is having issues on many sites now. I have tried several screen recorder apps on my most powerful PC, but the quality blows compared to stream caps.

I think the folks creating the content protection systems are winning the battle- which will make this a very dark period in human history- if no one captures and shares the digital world, future historians will really be scratching their collective heads wondering why so much was lost.

Sixthofmay, Oct 24, 2019
Ask a Question