Win XP - A/V program

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by dsscottage, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dsscottage

dsscottage

I know that I shouldn't be using Win XP but this is for a seldom used backup computer. I tried to upgrade to Win 7 but the Win 7 Win update process always consumed almost 100% of CPU resources on this ancient single core CPU. Therefore, I've reinstalled Win XP, SP2, SP3 and allowed the automatic update process to install all available updates.

I'm still running into may problems.
    1. I can't seem to install an A/V program. Sometimes, the downloaded installation program simply will not start. Other times I get the message "can't install because your computer doesn't support SSE2 installation set". Before attempting to upgrade to Win 7, I previously had Avast installed and working. After the Win XP reinatall, I tried AVG, Avast, Avira and Windows essentials. All fail to install. I've also Googled for "A/V programs for Win XP and tried the recommendations without success. Does anyone know how I can get an A/V program installed.
    2. I also am unable to get any browser other than IE8 installed. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Opera. Any recommendations?
    3. Some (but not all) HTTPS sites will not open. I ran Windows Diagnostics and was informed that it was probably the Win firewall blocking sites. I turned off the firewall but still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Mar 28, 2017
  2. dsscottage

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 28, 2017
Ask a Question