A warning about the site 'eclipse.cx'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Compa, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Compa

Compa

If you come across a website claiming to be a good resource for Windows stuff called eclipse.cx, don't even bother.

It was alright a while ago, when it still had people who actually contributed back to the MS modding community, but now, nobody's left except the owner after he decided to kick everyone who actually cared about the board out over a safeguarding decision from one of the other administrators. (As an ex-admin of the place, I can confirm that the staff communication ranged from abysmal to nonexistent, with nothing else in between).

Since then it's just full of literal losers (the types who are hopping on a Windows Legacy bandwagon because it's hip and cool on Discord to do so in certain communities that are getting increasingly popular with a certain formulation of autistic internet-bound people) who make one post and then leave, and if anyone says a single negative thing about the board or something that the owner doesn't like, they're gone. PMs are also snooped. It literally makes China look like a world leader in privacy at this point.

In more recent times, is that I saw that they went full-on MyDigitalLife, begging for members by enforcing them to sign up to see anything with URLs in (which admin-approval and email-approval is turned on for too - because the owner doesn't want 'meanies' coming in criticising him and his neckbeard nature) when ironically the very idea of the forum from my original vision and point of view as the person who was the 'visionary' in the first, was to get away from that kind of stuff and make a MSFN/MDL alternative that was accessible anywhere (after the MSFN layout update broke non-JS users like myself).

Any attempts to delete your data or ask for your data to be deleted will also result in mockery, and even if you do, the owner will simply reinstate it behind your back or do something with it on a personal level, so once again, do not even fucking bother trying.

I'm sorry once again, but I'm just warning, that as an ex-admin, it's a hostile waste of space. Stick to MSFN/MDL for mods, or here for support. Eclipse was the worst mistake I ever envisioned.

Compa, Nov 30, 2021
    1. Advertisements

2. Compa

red Guest

no need we all old timers here :) i still have problems with comp ,everyone here just helps each other,lots of good folk

long live xp:)

red, Nov 30, 2021
    1. Advertisements

3. Compa

Compa

Yeah, I gathered as such.

It seems like a reasonably friendly environment here, for the most part tucked away from all the stupid drama that goes on behind the scenes.

Compa, Nov 30, 2021
  4. Compa

TMTGTR

I'm not here long, but I sense the adage "Less is more" applies to XP forums.

TMTGTR, Nov 30, 2021
    Compa likes this.
  5. Compa

Compa

This place feels more general/support oriented (and admittedly, I really like this version of XenForo's surprising amount of usability with JavaScript turned off).

The place I'm referencing in the OP was essentially more oriented towards those who are working on projects like ISOs and software backports, though support was always a thing, too, it was always on more technical side. Basically similar to MSFN (it even hosted the 'official' New Moon/MyPal support forum at one point, though nobody used either subforum due to lack of promotion from their respective authors).

As I mentioned earlier, I was an ex-admin there and actually the original envisioner of that community after MSFN screwed up their forum layout making it unusable on old browsers (and broke reCAPTCHA for the umpteenth time around the same time). Due to some stupid, seemingly deliberate overreaction from one of the admins over something another admin did related to my account, pretty much everyone who was a decent user was banned/left, literally replaced with much weaker staff who then for the most part also left, and then the owner's seemingly been creating himself even more issues by digging his own hole deeper ever since with the aforementioned 'forced registration' and 'China-level snooping/censorship of opinions'.

(I actually can't wait to see him whine about this thread and tell the staff here to take it down. Will be rather amusing considering I had to file an abuse report to his web hosting to get him to take some files down that were mine from his server, and even then he still put them back up albeit in a modified form. In the end I just gave up.)

Compa, Nov 30, 2021
  6. Compa

red Guest

wont happen :) some peeps go power crazed thinking they better then everyone else, but always goes tits up in the end :)

red, Dec 1, 2021
  7. Compa

K4sum1

Note: I own eclipse.cx, this is just me defending myself.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that they would have inevitably ended up attacking me ending in a far worse outcome had this never happened. I won't get into details, but you should remember what caused me to be banned from WeVidi. A platform owned by one of those I banned.

Just like many other forums, maybe even this one too.

You have to say specific things to trigger me in such a way. If you criticize the board and make a fair point, I'll leave it up. I rarely ban anyone for saying something wrong on the board, just like with my Discord server, I usually just delete it and hope that they understand not to say such things. More people complain that I don't do enough. You should really see Server2 these days, people have left due to the toxicity there, yet previously when I tried banning one of them, you and the owner got very angry at me.

For the main board, I or any mod only looks at PMs when they're reported, which is how it works in phpBB and likely every other modern board software. If nobody reports it, I have no way to take action against it.

The only time that was used was when roytam1 was discussing about Tobin, the DMCAs, etc, while trying to keep it hidden from Tobin and others. That failed, so I ended up removing the hidden tag. You can go to that post and view it without any account. Also admin approval for accounts hasn't been enabled for months, it was only enabled for a short period of time to prevent spam. Now it's just email approval which is how most other boards do it.

You never filed any reports, nor did you say to remove any specific files. You wanted the board2 database gone, which I ended up getting rid of. Your plan worked, you killed board2 and your board is successful. What more do you want?

K4sum1, Dec 2, 2021
  8. Compa

red Guest

fair play always good to see both sides of the story lets peeps make there own minds up

long live xp :)

red, Dec 2, 2021
  9. Compa

TMTGTR

A very good presentation of your position with point by point rebuttals carefully delineated.

And as Red said:
    Though you state you are here to defend yourself, may we be permitted to presume you have come to also join our little supportive community?

Or maybe you came only to enlighten us to what a “Loser” whom posts once, never to return is like, by using your reply as illustration…

Or both? o_O

TMTGTR, Dec 3, 2021
  10. Compa

ClippyBeer

Never heard of it.
    Been on the internet over 20 years, on lots of tech forums.

I have seen forums where moderator's power seems to swell their heads, I tend to avoid such places.

Most forums have a select group of base users that contribute content that benefits others. Then there are those that join, post a question and then disappear. I tend to not answer questions from those that recently joined unless I can see they are actually engaging other members of the forum. I consider it a waste of my time replying to those that post 1 message & disappear.

ClippyBeer, Dec 3, 2021
  11. Compa

K4sum1

I don't know to be honest, I don't care too much for XP, I'm more interested in 2000 and Vista. Also getting XP running on modern hardware is so hard. Even with the proper drivers, it loves to break and boot to a 0x0000007B BSOD.

Edit: Why can I edit or delete this post, but not the first post I made here?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    K4sum1, Dec 3, 2021
  12. Compa

red Guest

just out of curiosity why you here if you do not like or use xp ? as this is xp forum

red, Dec 3, 2021
  13. Compa

K4sum1

I never said I didn't like it, it's just in my opinion overshadowed by 2000 and Vista. I do like XP x64, but if I'm considering installing XP x86 on something, I'd likely be better off with 2000 and extended kernel. Though XP x64 likes to break in the way I said previously.

I made an account to post in this thread mainly, but I might as well look around (when I get the time) while I have an account and see if I can be any helpful here.

K4sum1, Dec 3, 2021
  14. Compa

BlueBeastie

Interesting! Are you implying that 2000 and Vista are easier to install on modern hardware?
    I can understand Vista, since it's newer than XP, but 2000?

I might have to look into that if it's true.

BlueBeastie, Dec 5, 2021
  15. Compa

Borg

K4sum1: Are you insisting that Win2000 is easier to run on modern hardware?
    Can you elaborate more? Win2000 have older kernel, old SMP support,
    old PAE (just 8GB vs 32/64GB for Win2003).
    Are you using some KernelEx like stuff in Win2000?

Borg, Dec 5, 2021
  16. Compa

Compa

It seems to have a stronger community circle around it than either XP (NT 5.1 specifically) or Vista.

A lot less pathetic drama too, which makes sense given how a lot of 00s zoomers grew up with XP and have idolised/reappropriated many pieces of old Internet culture and mixed it with much of the worst of Reddit and Discord culture constantly, ruining the old appeal of it.

Compa, Dec 6, 2021
  17. Compa

Borg

Interesting.. Ive been using Win2000 for long time on my old desktop.
    It was P3 933MHz, 1GB RAM.
    But once I upgraded to i5-760, 8GB RAM the choice was rather
    obvious.. Win2003 and it serves me very well.
    (After of course quite heavy tuning on registry and around ;)

Borg, Dec 6, 2021
  18. Compa

K4sum1

Well, it's not easier to install, it just seems more stable to me. Doesn't bug out like XP can.

Also came back here to make a correction to my old post that I apparently can't edit.
    Actually the owner never registered on my forum, the person that was banned has at least some influence on the platform, but I'm not sure what his exact role is.

K4sum1, Dec 7, 2021
  19. Compa

Borg

K4sum1: ahh okey, that make sense. Win2000 supported less HW but drivers were
    probably higher quality. Thats why it seems to be more stable.
    XP was for consumer oriented market. Every wondered why SP1 disabled >4GB mem support? Drivers!!! Some didnt bothered to write drivers properly asuming like
    WTH will have more than 4GB ram. Of course for enterprise marked (servers) things looked differently.

Borg, Dec 7, 2021
  20. Compa

K4sum1

Could have also just been marketing for Server 2003 and XP x64.

K4sum1, Dec 7, 2021
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question