XP on VirtualBox requires a 16 mb video card, how to I fix this error?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by NeptuneXPlorer, Jul 3, 2023.

1. NeptuneXPlorer

NeptuneXPlorer

I have had this problem with running Windows XP Professional x86 Service Pack 3 in Virtualbox on both macOS and Windows 10. In an attempt to relive my childhood days of constantly changing the wallpaper and screensaver settings, I downloaded Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP. Everytime I click "install" for Plus! Screen Savers or Themes, the following warning appears:

> The feature cannot be installed because your computer does not contain a video card with at least 16 megabytes of memory Verify that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP.

I am a novice VirtualBox user, and I can only see the display of the VM using the VMSVGA graphics controller with 32 mb of video storage. Is there a way to fix this issue?

NeptuneXPlorer, Jul 3, 2023
  2. NeptuneXPlorer

MisterEd

I got the same thing when I tried to install Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP.

[​IMG]

I saw the reason why when I looked at the Device Manager.
    Under Other devices it said Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

[​IMG]

The solution is to select the ISO for the VirtualBox Guest Additions and install it. Ignore the errors.

[​IMG]

After that the Display adapter will be VirtualBox Graphics Adapter.

[​IMG]

Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP will then install OK.

[​IMG]

MisterEd, Jul 3, 2023
  3. NeptuneXPlorer

ClippyBeer

You will encounter the same issue in VMWare running an XP VM - you will only get basic graphics unless you install the guest additions.

ClippyBeer, Jul 4, 2023
  4. NeptuneXPlorer

NeptuneXPlorer

So I had the Guest Additions installed, but it won't let me install Direct3D Support as it requires 3D acceleration (which VirtualBox won't let me enable). Thank you so much, now I know that this is a host problem.

NeptuneXPlorer, Jul 4, 2023
  5. NeptuneXPlorer

MisterEd

You're right 3D acceleration is not available.:(

[​IMG]

That is a known problem. 3D support was removed from Guest Additions. Someone in the following posts suggested going back to an earlier version where it was still supported.

Direct3D Acceleration not working on Guest Windows XP
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=98113

Windows XP 3D acceleration with newer VirtualBox releases
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106674

BTW, I only play around with Windows XP VM's on this Windows 11 laptop and my Windows 10 desktop. For serious things I use my two old desktops with Windows XP on them, For example, this is what I get if run "dxdiag" on computer Thorougbred which has Windows XP Pro on it.

[​IMG]

MisterEd, Jul 4, 2023
  6. NeptuneXPlorer

MisterEd

In VMWare to get the SVGA graphics you have to install VMWare Tools. You can't install the default tools because it doesn't support Windows XP. Fortunately, the VMWare installation folder contains a version that does. In Windows XP mount and run the ISO: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\winPreVista.iso

After you install VMWare Tools you will see that the VMWare SVGA II display adapter has been loaded.

[​IMG]

MisterEd, Jul 5, 2023
    we3fan and NeptuneXPlorer like this.
  7. NeptuneXPlorer

ClippyBeer

This is the main reason I prefer VMWare over VirtualBox. VMWare will provide 3D acceleration to XP guests providing guest additions are installed AND your CPU supports virtualization technology (AMD-V or Intel VT).

[​IMG]

Dxdiag is showing the CPU/GPU of the host rather than the guest.

[​IMG]

I ran through all the DirectDraw/Direct3D tests, all passed with flying colors.

If you have installed XP Plus Pack you can now run all the 3D screensavers including the Aquarium.

[​IMG]

I've also played Serious Sam First Encounter in this VM and it plays well on this host.

If you want the full XP experience on a modern PC VMWare is the way to go.

ClippyBeer, Jul 6, 2023
    we3fan and NeptuneXPlorer like this.
  8. NeptuneXPlorer

NeptuneXPlorer

Thank you both MisterEd and ClippyBeer (I don't know how to enable mentions), I switched to VMware and now Plus! works and XP works even better than it did under VirtualBox.

NeptuneXPlorer, Jul 8, 2023
  9. NeptuneXPlorer

MisterEd

That is why it is helpful to try different VM programs. I have VMWare. VirtualBox, Hyper-V, and DOSBox. I try different ones to see what works best.

You have to keep up with each one to see what is supported. Support for old OSs tends be dropped over time. I have even run an old version of VMWare when the current version didn't support the OS I wanted to use.

MisterEd, Jul 8, 2023
Ask a Question