XP connection to a Fidium wireless modem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by frostnow, Oct 8, 2023.

1. frostnow

frostnow

Previously I had my old reliable XP OS hooked up to a wireless WiFi modem and it was working. Fidium installed a new hi speed modem and now I can’t seem to find the Installation Wizard for a wireless system. The XP won’t go on line. I do have a new Windows 11 desktop available so I’m thinking I can go on line, get the wizard file on a flash drive and install it on the XP OS.

I followed the Youtube instruction in the picture - didn’t work.

Is this possible? I want to keep using my XP, as it’s the only desktop I’m comfortable on and navigates beautifully. It’s a tool, not an Easter bonnet. I don’t need fancy; I need workable.

Attached Files:

frostnow, Oct 8, 2023
  2. frostnow

ClippyBeer

Just click on the icon in the lower right corner (system tray) that show a balloon popup 'Wireless networks detected'.

[​IMG]

You will then see a list of available wifi networks. Click on the one you want to connect you then enter the password which should have been provided by your ISP.

ClippyBeer, Oct 10, 2023
  3. frostnow

tekkaman

Back then some wireless cards would substitute the XP wireless icon with their own software. I think realtek would put little blue crab in the task bar and you would connect through that. But I think most nowadays just rely on Windows Wireless zero configuration

tekkaman, Oct 11, 2023
  4. frostnow

moseaclaidin

If my toolbar and settings only show LAN, no icon, grey drop down options, nothing, for WiFi, does this mean it doesn't have a driver installed? Do I need to go on amazon and find a "wifi card" or something similar? Thank you in advance!

moseaclaidin, Dec 6, 2023
  5. frostnow

tekkaman

You have to go to device manager Then to network adapters to see if your computer have a wifi adapter or not.

Here's video that shows how to get to device manager in XP:

Usually if the computer is too old most likely it won't have a wifi adapter.

There's one thing to keep in mind. I don't know how old is your computer since you didn't put the model or specs. Sure you can buy a USB wifi adapter but here's the thing. I've have had bad experience using them on computers that only have USB 1.1 ports. Most if not all require at least USB 2.0 to work well.

tekkaman, Dec 7, 2023
  6. frostnow

moseaclaidin

thanks.
    It's a Dell optiplex gx620.
    I followed the video and my computer said it couldn't find that. Same thing for changing it browse and searching. I bought the computer off Offer Up to play Sims 2, as technology has moved past being backwards compatible. So I can use my regular computer to add custom content and transfer it with a flash drive. It just would have been nice to do it all on the one computer.

moseaclaidin, Dec 7, 2023
  7. frostnow

ClippyBeer

It looks like WIFI is only available as a USB adapter for your Dell. I checked under drivers for your PC and found only USB WIFI drivers for an optional USB adapter you would have to buy from Dell.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-gx620/drivers

Here's one I purchased from Ebay that I tested which came with XP drivers.

https://www.ebay.com/p/27033524598?rt=nc&iid=183230767043

I typed in "Windows XP WIFI" in the search box in Ebay and came up with several hits:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0.l1311&_nkw=windows+xp+wifi+adapter&_sacat=0

or Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=windows+...dows+xp+wi,aps,116&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_13

ClippyBeer, Dec 7, 2023
  8. frostnow

tekkaman

tekkaman, Dec 8, 2023
Ask a Question