Windows XP system in a new ,well ventilated case.Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by FlierXP, Aug 22, 2023.

1. FlierXP

FlierXP

Hello.
    This is my first post. I hope someone can assist,please.
    I am a flight simulator user. I fly MS FSX on a computer built for and using Windows XP. some years ago.
    I do not use it online, the computer isnt connected ,so there are no internet compatible worries..

Recently you may have noticed we have had some hot weather, !,,,and I have had lockups and restarts when flying.
    I concluded the PC was overheating, and I stopped the mild overclock, compressed air cleaned the inside of case etc , and had a humidifier blowing cold air on to the intake fan. That seemed to correct matters and I enjoyed some weeks of flying almost every day.
    Today the temperature went up , not a lot, and lock ups returned..
    On the basis that my problem is overheating, I am asking if the following is possible.
    (Please don’t suggest new computer etc which can run FSX, I have a number of peripherals that I consider essential which need XP, etc , so please address my question)

Can I without complication get a professional to take the motherboard, HDD etc, I.e almost everything ,….and put it in a new super cooled case which will allow me to run everything as now but it being operated at a much cooler temperature.?
    I am nearer 80 than 70, and do -it -yourself is seeming too daunting. Would you say this could achieve meaningful temperature reductions?
    Is there something I’m unaware of that precludes this being achievable.
    Is there some advice as the best way to achieve this.

I know that I could buy a new computer and the new FS2020 flight sim , but, again I don’t think all my peripherals would work, and, all in all, I prefer to keep FSX which is brilliant ( when it can run)

Thank you for your time reading this..

FlierXP, Aug 22, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  2. FlierXP

Samir

That's awesome that you're using xp this way! To me this is why xp is still awesome. :)

To address your problem, it may not be cooling of the cpu that's an issue, but motherboard components or the power supply. My father's IBM started doing this and it was the power supply that was out of range. Once I replaced the power supply, all was good. I would suggest you give that a shot.

If it truly is a cooling issue, then I would simply purchase and air conditioner unit or create a guide for an existing duct to go directly to the computer first--this should take care of cooling issues.

By the way, if you were able to open up and clean the case as well as remove an overclock, you have the skills to do a case swap or even parts replacement like motherboard, etc if you need to. And we're here to help as many of us have experience in this area as well.

Samir, Aug 22, 2023
  3. FlierXP

ClippyBeer

One other thing you could check would be if the thermal paste dried up (happened to me once).

Your CPU's heat sink/fan should be attached with either screws or clips. With the unit power off of course try detaching the heat sink from the CPU and see if there is still paste on the CPU. Thermal paste is available online or at local computer shops.

ClippyBeer, Aug 22, 2023
    TMTGTR and Samir like this.
  4. FlierXP

Samir

Adding to this, if your heat sink falls off or is easily removable when the clips/screws are unfastened, then for sure it is a paste issue (the heatsink is usually 'glued' to the cpu by the nature of what it is). Also, some pretty good paste--TG-7--is available in store at Best Buy at the same price as online, so no waiting if you need some!

Samir, Aug 23, 2023
    TMTGTR likes this.
  5. FlierXP

TMTGTR

Yep

TMTGTR, Aug 24, 2023
  6. FlierXP

tekkaman

did you check all the temps ? cpu motherboard and gpu ? Check with hwmonitor what exactly is overheating. For all we know it could be the gpu.

But yes if the case is not ventilated enough it can cause overheating with games. Try to find a case that has fans on front, back and side.

tekkaman, Aug 24, 2023
Ask a Question