Windows XP Pro & VMware Workstation 10 - fresh Windows XP Pro guest install breaks

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by dimm0k, Jan 15, 2014.

1. dimm0k

dimm0k

Running VMware Workstation 10 under 64-bit Linux with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro 32-bit plus SP3 and all of the latest MS updates. At this point I've created a snapshot to revert back to this current state as I keep witnessing the following problem. Without installing VMware Tools if I leave the guest running, but idle for about 48 hours the guest looks to be functional, however if I restart the VM it gets stuck right after the BIOS display with a black screen that continues to eat up CPU. At this point the VM's contents look corrupt and I'm unable to boot into Windows. If I were to revert back to the snapshot the guest runs AND restarts fine! The problem does come back if I leave the VM running, again idle, for about 48 hours. Has anyone witnessed this before or heard of this problem?

dimm0k, Jan 15, 2014
Ask a Question