Windows XP Pro Install Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Darwin4ever, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Darwin4ever

Darwin4ever

Are there still Windows XP Guru's here ?

I tried (twice) to install Windows XP Pro with SP3 on an older machine (+- same age as Windows XP) on a formatted (twice) HDD
    During install I provided the default Administrator with a password

After installation, nothing works .
    Startup of Windows XP works fine, and after providing the Administrator password, I try
    - Control Panel / User Accounts --> error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"
    - It doesn't matter on what I click, always the same error, even for command prompt.
    As a result it's even not possible to check anything or to create another user.

I was able to navigate to System32/cmd.exe. The file is there and I can see the properties, but can't launch it
    I tried Safe Mode, exactly the same results

I know the error-message indicates a perission-problem, which I could understand for normal files, but why do I have those permission issues with the default Administrator for the Windows-files just after a fresh install.

In the past I have installed Windows XP Pro dozens of times on different machines, always with the same CDRom, and never got any problems.

What might be going on ?

I really need this installation for compatibility reasons. Meaning I know, it's old, and there have been Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11, that's not the point.

Darwin4ever, Jun 3, 2023
  2. Darwin4ever

Madeleine Takam

First of all, I would suggest that you never set a password on install. Set password only after the installation is perfect. In my case that was about 2 weeks solid work. But then I haven’t had to reinstall since 2008.

If your problem had just been not being able to open Command Prompt, I would suggest the following……

You will need to right click on Command Prompt.

Click on Run as…..

Uncheck Protect my computer and data etc.

Then Run as Administrator.

However, I can not replicate the following problem you have.

Control Panel / User Accounts --> error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Unless someone else has got some good idea, you may have a problem with the install. I suggest you might need to reinstall, but without the password, it can always be set later.

Hope this helps.

Madeleine Takam, Jun 4, 2023
  3. Darwin4ever

MisterEd

I have using Windows XP for 20 years. I just reinstalled Windows XP Pro on a 20-year old computer yesterday with no problems. I installed Windows XP Pro with SP1. Afterwords I installed SP3. No problems so far.

Did you use an original CD that you bought? I used the original Windows XP Pro CD I bought back in 2002.

I found out a long time ago it was best not to set a password during the setup. Like @Madeleine Takam said it makes things easier because of all the reboots you have the first week or so. In a few days when most of the important setup is done I will set a password.

MisterEd, Jun 11, 2023
  4. Darwin4ever

cleverscreenname

Wow! That's a new one I've never heard before. Did the installation take a long time? I'm thinking hardware problem such as bad sectors on hard drive or cd, or bad memory.

cleverscreenname, Dec 3, 2023
Ask a Question