Windows Explorer Search Results Problem (XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by cappy57, Mar 17, 2015.

1. cappy57

cappy57

When I use the search function in Windows Explorer (XP), I want to find a file - there is only one such file on the whole hard drive, but windows explorer search results will show the found file repeatedly, like this:

Car.doc c:\Documents and Settings\User\Auto 38KB Microsoft Office Word 2007 Document 11/14/2014 9:43 AM
    Car.doc c:\Documents and Settings\User\Auto 38KB Microsoft Office Word 2007 Document 11/14/2014 9:43 AM

Same file, same folder, same size - but multiple "copies" of the same file. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It should show only the one instance of that particular file.

cappy57, Mar 17, 2015
  2. cappy57

Elizabeth23

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_27475651.html

some pretty good solutions here

============

my main suggestion is to insure your system is clean

what is your current antivirus??

do the following:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes Free (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

once clean we can see if the issue is resolved

Elizabeth23, Mar 17, 2015
  3. cappy57

cappy57

Hi Elizabeth23. Here is what I've done:

I run Malwarebytes regularly. I also run AVAST antivirus regularly and often also run TrendMicro's HouseCall; SuperAntiSpyware, and CCleaner, and optimize often with Glary Utilities. I think a multi-pronged antivirus/antimalware approach has kept my system clean and optimzed for years. If it's a virus or malware, it slipped by all those.

My assumption is that it is some kind of Windows glitch. I'm not a programmer, or expert, but I consider myself very computer savvy.

Thank you kindly for responding! :)

I'm just feeling really frustrated trying to scour the web for possible solutions and have been unable to find any thus far.

cappy57, Mar 18, 2015
  4. cappy57

Elizabeth23

okay then the next step is to reinstall search, in folder options make sure that hidden folders are shown, in c:\windows, go to the inf folder, look for search.inf, right click and choose install, you can choose to look in your install cd for files or point the dialog box to the dll cache or where the file is located, if you need a certain file, I can upload to my onedrive and you can download to your pc.

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2015
Ask a Question