Why do you still use XP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by xperia, Jan 5, 2014.

1. xperia

xperceniol

Thank you - just out of curiosity - did you go with the sysVinit version or the runit version? 32 bit or 64 bit?

https://antixlinux.com/download/

Good to see I'm not alone in my linux use because I was flamed a while back for doing such and compared to a criminal but I shall not drudge up the old posting ... better left be.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    xperceniol, Mar 27, 2024
  2. xperia

Borg

For VM im using 32bit and I always use SysV init because its old and reliable. AntiX boots very quickly, so that entire runit stuff to make boot process faster by parallerizing init process seems pointless.

Point of warning tho, 32 bit web browsing starts to die.
    This is ridiculus. FF constantly crashes after longer period of usage (like 30-40 min or more) because it runs out of VSZ (address space). Once it hit 3GB (basic web browsing start wth 2GB!!!) it will crash.

Still, its good enough, so I can browse some trash websides that does NOT work anymore on my old Palemoon :)

Borg, Mar 27, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  3. xperia

cleverscreenname

How about forcing FF to run on less cores? 2, or even 1, that reduces memory usage. Have you tweaked FF settings to reduce memory or disk cache size?

cleverscreenname, Apr 18, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
Ask a Question