Why can't I install avast free? Advice greatly appreciated..

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Mr Burns, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mr Burns

Mr Burns

Hello all!:)Stumbled across this forum doing an internet search so people can help me with my XP computer problems. I'm now the newest member on this site. Thought I'd post my problem and see if some kind soul replies;)

I am wanting to get a free antivirus after my brother fixed my computer but also unstalled all my antivirus programs. before I had McAfee and PC doctor and something else, can't remember the name. They were all blocking my internet connection with thier firewalls and I didn't realize it, after having no internet connection for a week, even after having all these programs. So I tried to install avast, but with no luck.:(

When I run the installer for avast free I get this error: Setup Selfextract "An error 0 (00000000) has occured. Last performed action was: spawning

I didn't download from a pirate or infected site (internet explorer has smartscreen filter), I just googled "avast free" and clicked on one of the first few links (those are the most popular ones).

Has anyone had this error before when installing avast and know how to fix it?

Thanks for all your help.

BTW, It's the newest version, version 7.something

I just downloaded a fresh version from filehippo, The newest version 7.0.1474
    and it's done the same thing again PLZ HELP.

Mr Burns, Dec 24, 2012
  2. Mr Burns

oldboydave

Avast installation

Hi. and hello from the latest newest member, (joined today!) Now I'm no expert at these things,so please don't quote me, & being a bit of an oldie I don't suppose I'm ever going to be, but! my computer came with Norton security allready installed, which I found to be a bit problematic, so I decided to un-install it, & install Avast, which happened to be a fairly easy thing to do, But some problems persisted for a while & I found that I had to search all of my programme files (as best I could) to locate and remove one by one all of the little bits of Norton that had been left behind during the un-install, they were hidden away in files all over the place, & took some time to eradicate, if you are experiencing interference from your previously installed anti-virus residue, could that be your problem?

oldboydave, Feb 12, 2014
  3. Mr Burns

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2014
  4. Mr Burns

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2014
  5. Mr Burns

pravin007techno

you can go with other then avast too, which is free and having all full functional features without any cost. avast is best but it cant provide multifunctional activities like to cloud and internet security and data protection as in cloud server and services. if you want to try once see them!

pravin007techno, Aug 23, 2014
  6. Mr Burns

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Avast troubles

Hello Mr Burns from Aunty Jack in Australia,

Never had a problem with Avast install/uninstall. Try regedit in the Run box and look under software in all the Registry categories and if Avast is still there, delete it. Restart and try again.

I gave up on Avast a while ago and now use Panda Antivirus free. Quicker than Avast, less intrusive, and very good at catching malware and trojans. Just a suggestion anyway from the great land of OZ. (Australia).

Cheers, Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Aug 26, 2014
Ask a Question