What is the best Windows XP netbook or small laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by K4sum1, Sep 27, 2023.

1. K4sum1

K4sum1

I'm wanting a cheap, small (12in or smaller) laptop that I can get used with a u series or better Core i* part. I'm guessing max is Broadwell for USB until the ReactOS driver gets finished. I have seen no proof for or against Broadwell iGPUs working under XP, but generic drivers would be fine for me. I don't think anything else would be an issue here.

So far this is the list:
    Thinkpad X230
    Expensive compared to the other offerings, but should be the easiest to get working.

Elitebook 2570p
    Has a DVD drive on top of being cheaper than X230. IDT audio sucks under XP, but I don't need audio for my use case.

Dell Latitude E7240/E7250
    Haswell and Broadwell u series 12in laptops. I know less about these, cheaper than Thinkpad and newer.

Other laptops I've considered:
    2nd gen and older variants
    Not really worth it since they cost mostly the same as their 3rd gen counterparts.

Thinkpad X131e
    Mostly the same footprint as the X230 for some reason, smaller screen, not worth it.

Dell Latitude E6230
    Removed from the list as it doesn't bring anything (for me) over the other options.

I can't seem to find anything else cheap that is comparable or smaller. Does anyone know of anything else I could look at and add to the list?

K4sum1, Sep 27, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
  2. K4sum1

tekkaman

I had an old Acer that could run XP, 7, and 8. Acer V5-131. It had a celeron cpu but if you upgraded to 8Gb of ram it ran very snappy.

tekkaman, Sep 29, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
  3. K4sum1

K4sum1

So I've decided X230, it seems to be the smallest and lightest I can get, and the most mod friendly.

K4sum1, Oct 12, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
  4. K4sum1

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Oct 13, 2023
    xperceniol likes this.
Ask a Question