Video Gaming General

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Termingamer2-JD, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

Well... I like videogames - retro video games, please note.

I have the entire collection of NES, SNES and GB/GBC rom dumps, of course this is illegal when I don't own them, but I'm not using them for anything other than my enjoyment anyway so blarg.

Post about any videogames here please. :)

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 19, 2015
  2. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

I have found ZSNES to be the best SNES emulator. I've tried most of them, including Japanese ones. None seemed to work as good as ZSNES.

Works quite good on Win98 guest OS in VirtualPC 2007. No sound lag. But ocassional video lag when the vhd image gets corrupted. But that's what backups are for...

Some of the best games I've ever played were on the NES/SNES.

All-time favorites: StarFox, Mario All-Stars + World, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Super Aleste (Space Megaforce), The Goonies (NES).

Personally, I've stopped playing [PC] games made after 2003 b/c those games aren't supported by Intel GPUs. But, out of all those years of gaming on Nintendo consoles and PCs, I would say the best game I've ever played was StarFox on the SNES!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    eatup, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

ZSNES is the legend of snes emulation along with SnEesE and Snes9x. bsnes/Higan is too slow in the accuracy core, that thing requires 3ghz to work at full speed.

And SNES is such a good system isn't it? It graced some of the best games, I agree - Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World 2, for example, and the NES had Tetris and Pac-Man in original form.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

SMW2 incorporated some features that made it into the New SMB's, such as being able to look into caves and crevices.

Anyways, have you seen/played the new Yoshi's Wooly World? My first impressions upon viewing some gameplay footages are that it's a subpar clone of SMW2 minus the baby Mario. Baby Mario was what "made" SMW2. YWW feels bland without bM as a result. Also, I see zero innovations in YWW, aside from the ability to fill up windmill blades with wool. Whatever was done inYWW had already been done much much better in SWM2. YWW is one of the few instances where I think the game(s) that came before it aeons ago were much better!

eatup, Sep 20, 2015
  5. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

Forgot that. Nice reminding me about that.

I haven't seen it and I don't particularly care. The Mario games have gone downhill since NSMBW - just look at that abomination called NSMB2.

Baby Mario was indeed a big part of SMW2 also. There'd be no proper story without him and also there were a few powerups for him in SMW2.

Nintendo, since Iwata died (RIP), have decided they are going to delete SMW hacks and TAS videos of gameplay, and it's affected quite a lot of people. Are you interested in SMW hacking at all?

6. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

I've always preferred SMB3 over SMW. Maybe they think those TAS videos will affect sales of virtual console games (ppl would rather watch those vids than play the actual game). But they're going to really diminish their popularity among the newer gen that never heard of Mario.

Also, present-day Nintendo is a little too creepy for my liking. You have the fake Bowsers that die a gruelsome death in lava complete with gory animations of flesh being burnt off their bones. And those bony koopas in Super Mario Maker (they're not the lovable drybones you find in SMB3, but really freaky depictions of rotting flesh) give me the creeps!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    eatup, Sep 20, 2015
  7. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

But they're going to really diminish their popularity among the newer gen that never heard of Mario.
    The same thing will happen with Pac-Man too. The newer youth will only hear of the stupid new games which are rereleases and poorly-made sequels.

And there you go, good points again, Nintendo need to give back their retro feel, not introduce new stuff to try and make it seem like more modern games with blood, as you say.

SMB3 was also an excellent game however hard. SMW was also good. I would say they are pretty much equal though in how good they are, yep. Also, I have to bring up the Donkey Kong Country series now, what do you think of those? I think they're really fun to play and great platformers.

8. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

I started getting into the Donkey Kong series starting with DKC2. Levels got really hard later on --- as hard as the Special World that you could only access after you've beaten Star World in SMW. The thing I liked best about DKC1 was the transition from daylight to dusk complete with flapping butterflies --- that is real beautiful art, man! That and the water music has got to be the best soundtrack in the entire trilogy.

In fact, I would consider Theme of StarFox (SNES) [b/c it's just so StarWars-esque] and Water Music from DKC1 [for the ambience] to be the top video game music of all time! Honorable mentions include any Mario theme, Zelda theme, and main theme of Samus Aran/Super Metroid...

eatup, Sep 20, 2015
  9. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

That's true. As you like Star Fox, it makes me think of trying it on an emulator. Is it good playing it in ZSNES? My control system for SNES emulators is:
    Arrow Buttons - UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT
    B = X
    A = D
    Y = S
    X = E
    L = Q
    R = W

This is so that the A/B/X/Y buttons are like they are on the SNES controller, a bit. So it's easier to play. :)

I could try it. And yep, DKC's art is great, it's a shame Rareware got bought out by Microsoft and stopped making brilliant games. In fact a certain emulator developer (I think it was UltraHLE 2064's) credits Rare for 'making great games'.

PS eatup, I quoted your entire block of post about Yoshi's Wooly World on the SMWCentral site, because there was a topic on it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Termingamer2-JD, Sep 21, 2015
  10. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

Eh? No need to quote me on another public forum. I prefer to be low key about my gaming habbits. ZSNES is the only emulator that can emulate the SuperFX chip properly, so it's the one I use to play StarFox...

eatup, Sep 21, 2015
  11. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

Wouldn't higan (bsnes) do so, it apparantly is 100% accurate? It's really slow though.

And sorry, I didn't know, I should have asked first for this. And yeah, I'll boot up ZSNES and start playing soon. :) I'll tell you what I think of it!

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 22, 2015
  12. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

Yes, I forgot to mention speed as well. My laptop comes with a special setting that you can half the effective CPU speed. I'm running it at 1.0GHz rather than the maximum 2.0GHz to keep it cool. As such, higan would be of no use to me...

eatup, Sep 22, 2015
  13. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

Of course. Why would you need 100% accuracy unless a game is completely messed up in another emulator, though? I can see higan as a good tool for testing hacks and the like but for the general gamer, there's no point.

I'm actually going to code a gameboy emulator as a hobby in some time, but also as a platform for me to learn C++, machine level and assembly at the same time.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 22, 2015
  14. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

When I was in middle school, I knew this kid who could code in machine language. Amazing talent.

Try as I might, I could never learn to like C++/assembly. I've always been a higher (interpreted) language type of lazy person, letting the software framework do all the garbage collection and deal with memory and stuff...

eatup, Sep 22, 2015
  15. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

Oh. In middle school, what grade was the kid in?
    Just wondering to see. It's strange that they don't teach C++ and assembly or other programming in information technology in school.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 25, 2015
  16. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

We were both 14 y/o.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    eatup, Sep 25, 2015
  17. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

Nice. And I'm switching from C++ to C under some statements from the NESDev boards.

Anyway eatup, I'm mostly using ZSNES for playing games for some reason (lowest imput lag of all emulators and it works very fast, are the main reasons, along with it being really easy to make full screen). Snes9x? I only use for recording AVI clips and such as ZSNES is difficult to do that with.

You should also check the zsnes board some time. Apparantly 2.0 is in the works, unfortunately it won't work on DOS anymore and the classic GUI will be stripped in favour of a new one. But it will be much improved from 1.51 and 1.52 WIP as stated.

Termingamer2-JD, Oct 11, 2015
  18. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

Eh? That's pretty cool. Unfortunately ZSNES, just like SNES9x and a whole bunch of other emulators out there are actually malware in disguise. There is literally no incentive for someone to code something as complex as an emulator and distribute it freely, which is why I'm running ZSNES 1.5x inside a Windows 98 virtual machine, and it works flawlessly most of the time.

Anyways, if ZSNES 2.0 gets released, all the more power to us emu-gamers!

eatup, Oct 17, 2015
  19. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

Heh, IGN just gave SMB3 the #1 spot for the top 100 games ever made before June 1, 2015.

http://ign.com/top/top-100-games

Aligns with what I've said about SMB3 vs SMW. IMO SMB3 trounces SMW many times over b/c it's much funner to play.

eatup, Oct 17, 2015
  20. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

However, now I think about it, DKC2 is more fun than SMB3 because of its many secrets and such (and Dixie Kong).

Termingamer2-JD, Oct 18, 2015
Ask a Question