Video Driver - help needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by Ohiostar, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

I recently had a rebuild of my XP system and it ended up being fresh installed on a Gigabite computer. My problem now is that there is no video driver. I found the ID of the video card which is

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_18\3&13C0B0C5&0&10

Device Manager says the video adapter is ‘unknown’ but if I Google the IDit comes up as Intel. I can find a package of Intel XP drivers but since I am unsure of the motherboard maker, should I assume the Intel pack should work? Any other suggestions for getting the driver?

Ohiostar, Mar 23, 2024
  2. Ohiostar

ClippyBeer

It sounds like you need to take it back to the computer shop that installed XP because they failed to install the correct video driver. Amateurs. At the minimum they should tell you the exact model number of the Gigabyte motherboard so you can download the correct drivers from their site. Without this information no one here will be able to offer definitive assistance.

ClippyBeer, Mar 23, 2024
  3. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Actually I did take it back once already so they could replace a couple of bad USB ports. Their stance is they will reinstall XP but won’t do anything else on unsupported software, which includes drivers. It’s a common attitude regarding XP, I tried all the other computer repair places around here and no one else would even reinstall. Thanks for the motherboard suggestion, I’ll try that.

Ohiostar, Mar 23, 2024
  4. Ohiostar

ClippyBeer

As soon as you get the model number of your motherboard post it here so we can help find the correct driver(s) for it - If they failed to install the video driver there's probably other missing drivers as well.

I'm thankful that I can fix my own computer problems without having to rely on these so-called PC repair places which are essentially chop shops staffed by those with only basic computer skills. It doesn't take much effort to go into device manager and notice that there are missing or unknown devices. Computer skills 101. A reputable technician would have either installed all drivers or informed you that no video driver exists for XP on the motherboard instead of just giving it the thumbs up and taking your money. Amateurs.

ClippyBeer, Mar 24, 2024
  5. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

It$

Gigabyte H55-USB3. I can’t advise the version, it came up as x.x

i won’t argue about the place being amateurs, but no one else works on XP machines at all around here. I knew either the hard drive and/or the motherboard was on life support, but every other place had the same response - “We don’t do anything at all related to unsupported software.” Wouldn’t even look at it. I think they assumed that the aspect ratio issue wasn’t going to be a big deal, and for a lot of applications like Word, Excel, etc, it probably isn’t. But I wanted to keep XP for games and desktop publishing that was never made for later Windows, and it’s hard to layout a page if it looks so wonky.

Ohiostar, Mar 24, 2024
  6. Ohiostar

Madeleine Takam

The Video driver for your motherboard is here. Along with all the other drivers. They are all supported in Windows XP apparently.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H55-USB3-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-vga

You state: “But I wanted to keep XP for games and desktop publishing that was never made for later Windows, and it’s hard to layout a page if it looks so wonky.”

I suggest you actually buy a graphics card rather than rely on onboard graphics. Who play games with onboard graphics?????

The best, fastest and most up to date graphics card you can buy that will run on XP is the

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 TI

It being able to run most modern games easily.

Drivers being here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qyr8mAR1b4FtchM4r3IV9TWXAx4xd6b_

This being the kind gentleman that did all the work developing the drivers for XP aficionados.

This being another gentleman that provided help and support.

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

Madeleine Takam, Mar 24, 2024
    Mr Siamese Cat and ClippyBeer like this.
  7. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Thank you!!

Ohiostar, Mar 24, 2024
  8. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

I’m snake it. Major problem - none of the browsers on the XP computer will allow the download. All (Firefox, Opera) refuse Gigabyte downloads as security risks. I was able to download it on my Windows 10 one using Edge, but when I tried to copy to a flash drive I get a message that not all components will copy. Also tried emailing it to myself but tmy server’ s virus scanner rejected it.

Seems odd to me that Gigabyte would have a virus issue on their own downloads. Looks like I’m out of luck?

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  9. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

I am also now very confused. I talked to the repair shop and they claim they did install an Intel driver. The video ID does show it as Intel, and there was an .intel VGA driver downloaded, but Systen Info shows Ho driver installed. I tried to install it in Device Manager but I get a message that

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  10. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Sorry, ignore the partial post above, I didn’t want to send it.

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  11. Ohiostar

ClippyBeer

You need an updated browser such as MyPal 68:
    https://codeberg.org/Theodor2/Mypal68/releases

Before we go any further we need to confirm that you have the correct video driver. Right-click in the desktop and select 'Properties'. Hit the 'Settings' tab. Take a screenshot and post it here.

[​IMG]

Yours of course will be different but we need to see this to help you further.

I whole-heartedly agree with Madeleine. I never use on-board video on my desktop PC, alway Nvidia and the card she recommends is a good choice. The only time I use on-board video is with my laptops but they have discrete Nvidia or AMD, never Intel.

ClippyBeer, Mar 25, 2024
    Mr Siamese Cat likes this.
  12. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Hope this works.

Also, I talked to the repair IMG_0681.jpeg place this morning. They said they installed an Intel vga driver. No driver shows being installed, but I did find a downloaded Intel vga executable file. Tried double clicking it, nothing happened. Also tried to see if Device Manager would install it, but it didn’t recognize it.

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  13. Ohiostar

ClippyBeer

Very odd that is shows [Default Monitor] on
    It should show Intel..Anyway, try moving the slider to a higher resolution then hit apply. Don't worry if it doesn't look right or you get a blank screen, it will revert back to the original resolution if you don't touch the mouse or keyboard.

Paste a screenshot of your device manager - we need to see what it shows under display adapter. There does seem to be some kind of driver installed or you wouldn't get 32 bit color depth.

ClippyBeer, Mar 25, 2024
  14. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

This is with the resolution changed, it gets smaller, way too small for me to see IMG_0685.jpeg

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  15. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Here is the adapter IMG_0687.jpeg

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  16. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

And the video controller IMG_0686.jpeg

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  17. Ohiostar

ClippyBeer

VGAsave is a generic video driver when it can't properly detect your video or it is faulty. Download the video driver from the link Madeleine provided using MyPal 68 and install, reboot then check device manager. If it still displays VGAsave there is a problem with the onboard video. You have one of two choices: Take it back to the PC repair shop and have them troubleshoot or install an XP compatible NVidia GTX card (preferred).

EDIT:

There's also this:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ga-h55-usb3-onboard-video.424358/

So yes, it looks like you will need to purchase a video card.

ClippyBeer, Mar 25, 2024
  18. Ohiostar

Madeleine Takam

ClippyBeer has just conclusively pointed out, with a good reference. You are never going to get drivers for your graphics card.

I have spent some time looking at your motherboard and the Gigabyte site. I find it very hit and miss on what can be downloaded. I am getting screen very often saying that Gigabyte have not renewed certificate etc for web page. Along with other silliness.

Glad I don’t actually have any Gigabyte products considering what they seem to think is support.

I had to resort to on-line Motherboard manuals. So, I could not do a quick search for jumper settings to turn off dreadful on board graphics. Very irritating.

However below is how you solve your problems and get rid of yellow exclamation mark.

First:

Do what both ClippyBeer and I have advised and get a decent graphics card or any PCI Express graphics card. Make sure you can get XP drivers for it and make sure you have downloaded them before buying graphics card on ebay. Believe me, virtually anything is better than the on-board graphics you have. You can’t even get drivers for it.

Second:

Turn to page 47 = That is how you turn off the on-board graphics in the bios, once you have purchased your new graphics card installed it with drivers. You do this to free resources. You will also get rid of the yellow exclamation mark once you do.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H55-USB3-rev-20/support#support-manual

Or

https://www.manua.ls/gigabyte/ga-h55-ud3h/manual?p=1

Madeleine Takam, Mar 25, 2024
  19. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Thank you both for all your help and work, I could never have found this myself. I’m beginning to wonder now if it’s worth putting any more time and $$ into this as the motherboard seems a bit less-than-stellar, or see if I can find a machine on the secondary market that’s got better parts. Once again, thank you.

Ohiostar, Mar 25, 2024
  20. Ohiostar

Madeleine Takam

Madeleine Takam, Mar 25, 2024
Ask a Question