Turbo Tax is insisting on Win10 to do 2022 tax returns ... ?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by popsmoke, Nov 21, 2022.

1. popsmoke

popsmoke

(This composed on my trusty 2002 T42 15" 4:3 running XP exclusively) Which is nonsense. Just because MSFT no longer supports WIN81 is no reason to ban an OS in a non-MSFT product. A legal disclaimer would have worked just as well. The only company I am aware of that is still happily supporting XP on a day to day basis is SYNC.COM, a friendly Canadian firm that competes with DROPBOX. DROPBOX threw XP under the bus a decade ago. Amazingly, the Sync people don't seem to be aware that MSFT frowns on companies that ignore their diktats. If I did not know better -- and I really don't -- I would say that powerful forces want XP dead and buried. The brilliant coder behind MYPAL was given a "legal warning" by the Palemoon people even though they themselves were no longer updating their own product. What's up with that? That was a great mod! To do my taxes, I have another machine, a 2009 Lenovo G550 that I do not like very much, compared to the T42. On boot up, you now get a choice of 5 OS's to choose from: the factory-original XP, Win7, Win81, Win10, and --as of this week -- Win11. You have to wonder how much business TT will lose when they ultimately force people to jump to Win11, which in many cases means buying a brand new machine? (This is not the tech forum but it is indeed possible to install Win11 on a 13 year old laptop in MBR/BIOS mode, no UEFI, no TPM. Check out the free PhoenixliteOS Win11 Neon Ed. -- astonishing bit of modding). Best.

popsmoke, Nov 21, 2022
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  2. popsmoke

Elizabeth23

Well, guess I will just do my taxes on my own and mail it in. :) fortunately I can still do the easy tax form.

Elizabeth23, Nov 22, 2022
  3. popsmoke

ClippyBeer

It's possible they did you a favor - Inuit, parent company of TurboTax was sued earlier this year for misleading claims of their "Free" filing campaign.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...t-its-deceptive-turbotax-free-filing-campaign

I wouldn't trust them with my personal financial data for resorting to deceptive business tactics.

There is no conspiracy to get everyone on Windows 10/11. It costs money/time to continue support for legacy operating systems. I have an old Galaxy S4 phone with Android 4.4 - Google dropped support (no more Youtube, Gmail etc.) and so did developers. It still works I just can't install any newer apps, just like Windows XP. All vendors do this including Apple.

You still have your Multiboot PC so you can boot into Windows 10/11 when you need modern web access/apps then reboot into XP when you're done. It's not ideal but at least you have the option. There's absolutely nothing you can do about vendors/developers abandoning XP unless you learn to code yourself and make your own apps for XP.

I used to prepare my own taxes too when I was on W2 - it really isn't that complicated. The federal 1040 comes with complete instructions and you don't have to use differential calculus to complete the form. The math you learned in elementary school (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages) are all the skills required if you're filling out a federal 1040 with standard deduction. Itemized deductions/1099 well for that you should visit a paid tax preparer.

ClippyBeer, Nov 23, 2022
    cleverscreenname and Elizabeth23 like this.
  4. popsmoke

cleverscreenname

Agreed, and I do my own taxes the same way. And my awesome Galaxy S4 with wireless charging, I simply search on APKpure or APKmirror for apps, and haven't been locked out of anything. I just can't use it for my phone number, because AT&T refuses to allow VoLTE on it.

cleverscreenname, Nov 25, 2023
Ask a Question