Setting up an XP image from one XP to another different machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by TimR6394, Jan 29, 2024.

1. TimR6394

TimR6394

I have a e-Machine EL-1852G running Windows XP Pro. With its Key # label on side of computer.
    I have a image backup using NTI software. My question is can I restore my image to a different computer currently running Windows XP? I will not be connecting either computer to the internet.
    Seeing that second computer has a different motherboard will I have to buy another copy of XP software or will it not matter?

TimR6394, Jan 29, 2024
  2. TimR6394

tekkaman

If the system has a different motherboard it most probably won't even boot. If it does boot, it will lose activation.

tekkaman, Jan 29, 2024
  3. TimR6394

Mr Siamese Cat

I originally installed Windows XP 32Bit to a Supermicro X5DAE. I always perform full back ups. When I bought a X6DA8 G2 in 2007 I thought what the hell I might just try putting the Raid 0 set of hard drives in the new machine, with all the software including AutoCad, Photoshop, Arcobat, plus about 50 games. It worked. A few years later I just took the disks with 200GB of software and drivers and stuck them in a new X7DWA-N they worked.

A few years later I installed Windows 10 64Bit on the X7DWA-N, so I could use 64GB of ram. Spent weeks setting up, so it does not phone home and was / is very fast. Had to use one of the PCI-e16 for USB3 as this motherboard didn’t have USB3.

The Leicester Police recently sold me some of their old kit. So I picked two complete Dual CPU 40 Core Xeon water cooled with ASUS Motherboards (The Asus Z10PE-D8 WS to be precise) for £100. They were originally custom made by Scan at £4000 a pop for the cops.

So I mirrored a disk using Ghost from my X7DWA-N and used it on the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS. …….Everything worked. All the programs remained activated. Changed computer name and installed the chip set drivers, so there wasn’t a load of explanation marks in Device Manager. Was using the same Graphics cards just old GeForce GTX 1070’s. Machines work perfectly. Including all the software like Office Enterprise 2021 and Latest full versions of Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop and about 15 Games.

I will be donating the other one to Madeleine, as for some reason she wants to use 40 Core Xeons on a Windows XP64bit build. I think Rendering on a licensed version of Cad she has.

Anyway the point of the above anecdote is….. Give it a go what do you have to lose.

Mr Siamese Cat, Jan 29, 2024
Ask a Question