Set Maximum CPU State

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Hunter2021, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Hunter2021

Hunter2021

This is easy to do in Windows 7 via advanced power settings in CP. What's the equivalent function in XP? The reason I want to do this is to rescue an old overheating laptop. If I lower the max CPU state that should prevent CPU from overheating...

Hunter2021, Sep 16, 2023
  2. Hunter2021

rereser

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    rereser, Sep 17, 2023
  3. Hunter2021

tekkaman

In control panel you have to select the power scheme that says Home/Office Desk. That should make the CPU stay full speed all the time.
    Power schemes explained here:
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/start-04.html

If it doesn't work you can change that in the bios of your computer by disabling power saving features of CPU. If it's AMD it's called Cool and Quiet. I forgot how it was called for Intel.

The software recommended by rereser sadly doesn't work in XP. It works from 7 to newer Windows.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    tekkaman, Sep 18, 2023
  4. Hunter2021

rereser

throttlestop v 6.0 works fine on xp.
    this can be used to max the cpu mhz. (disable cpu throttle)
    it can also do the opposite. (lower the multiplier)
    available options may depend on the bios.
    later versions of this freeware expire.
    have been using this for years.
    https://pixeldrain.com/u/MPAQzPKS
    downloaded from the tech site and tested.
    configure and place a shortcut to the exe in the startup folder.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    rereser, Sep 19, 2023
  5. Hunter2021

tekkaman

Thanks for confirming that. It's nice to have options. Still changing the power scheme from control panel to home desktop works fine in most cases. And you can place a shortcut for it on the taskbar.

tekkaman, Sep 19, 2023
  6. Hunter2021

cleverscreenname

Undervolting the processor is a nice battery and heat saver without sacrificing too much performance, and I've done it on many systems. For older chips I believe the 1ghz to 2.5ghz range I use SpeedSwitchXP or maybe WinThrottleNT. For AMD systems (what I usually have) I've seen several programs but I typically used K10Stat version 1.54. Now on my newest system a socket AM1, I only monitor temp with CoreTemp. For Intel chipsets I use RMClock which also works on AMD. All of these programs have auto and manual control, and I could send them to you.

Extensive instructions for RMClock:
    https://dottech.org/4932/lower-the-temperatures-on-your-laptop-by-undervolting/

cleverscreenname, Nov 26, 2023
  7. Hunter2021

tekkaman

Do you know if there is something like that for newer systems from Windows 7-11 ? Many laptops these days come with turboboost enabled by default but with poor cooling to handle it. Then overheat.

tekkaman, Dec 4, 2023
  8. Hunter2021

cleverscreenname

Yeah, I'm not impressed with any laptop cooling that I've seen. Some of them get so hot they unsolder themselves and completely die (looking at you HP dv6)

I don't have much experience with Vista and newer, I guess we'd have to yahoo those program names and see what OS's they're compatible with. You could also get one of those "shelf of fans" to sit under your laptop that plug into a USB port and force more air through the vents.

cleverscreenname, Dec 6, 2023
  9. Hunter2021

tekkaman

In some cases lowering the maximum cpu state to 99% works. But most of the time it doesn't work. There are some registry hacks to add turboboost options to the powerscheme that lets you enable or disable turboboost. But in many cases it doesn't work either.

I think manufacturers enable turboboost on purpose so the laptop overheats and gets damaged faster.

tekkaman, Dec 6, 2023
    cleverscreenname likes this.
Ask a Question