SATA/RAID Drivers for Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 needed to reinstall Windows XP.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by WareNetwork2000, Aug 15, 2022.

1. WareNetwork2000

WareNetwork2000

Hey. I wanna reinstall Windows XP on a computer that I have which is a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2, but whenever I try to do so, it gets a bluescreen with a 0x0000007b error code. That means I have to supply some SATA/RAID drivers from a floppy disk. I've tried multiple SATA/RAID drivers and so far, none of them have worked. I also can't find a way to disable RAID in the BIOS so that means the only way to use Windows XP on that computer, again, is if I obtain those SATA/RAID drivers. Can you please provide me with those SATA/RAID drivers so I can reinstall Windows XP?

WareNetwork2000, Aug 15, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  2. WareNetwork2000

TMTGTR

Attached Files:

TMTGTR, Aug 16, 2022
    Samir and Elizabeth23 like this.
  3. WareNetwork2000

WareNetwork2000

I tried downloading the driver labelled "Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition, v.3.5.6.6282, A06" but it turns out that it's not the type of driver that you put on a floppy disk. The manual that you sent me told me that I need the Dell Resource CD which I don't have. Is there an ISO image of that CD online that I can download? Also, I've tried putting the files from that ZIP file that you attached on a floppy disk and inserted it into my Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 computer, but those drivers didn't work. I still got a bluescreen.

WareNetwork2000, Aug 16, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  4. WareNetwork2000

TMTGTR

Okay I dived a little deeper...

Read this 2 page PDF:
    https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...esktop/dimension-g2_reference guide_en-us.pdf

You'll see it reads:
    "8 When prompted, insert the Intel SATA Drivers floppy disk you created and

press <Enter>.
    9 Highlight Intel(R)82801ER SATA RAID Controller and press <Enter>.

I downloaded the driver from Cnet and created a floppy:
    Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller.zip Attached)

Other essential PDFs you should have are here:
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dimension-g2/docs

Scroll to manuals
    including the above reference PDF, I'd get owners manual and service manual too.

BTW, I have one of these. The MoBo needs a re-cap which I'll eventually do. So I have reason to investigate this as well. I suppose your post is giving me the kick I need for my project. Let me know your progress.

Attached Files:

TMTGTR, Aug 17, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  5. WareNetwork2000

WareNetwork2000

Those drivers that you sent me also didn't work. Once you get that computer's motherboard recapped, I highly suggest finding various SATA/RAID drivers to test with that computer and see if they work or not. Also, I've read those manuals that you sent me and they didn't mention anything about SATA/RAID drivers and reinstalling Windows XP except for one manual which said that I need a Dell Resource CD which I don't have. If you're able to find an ISO for that Dell Resource CD, can you please send it to me? If you can't find one and you have the physical Dell Resource CD, can you please create an ISO from it and send it to me?

WareNetwork2000, Aug 17, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  6. WareNetwork2000

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 18, 2022
    Samir and TMTGTR like this.
  7. WareNetwork2000

TMTGTR

Thanks for the clarify-er Elizabeth. The forum post allows a clearer picture.
    WareNetwork2000: I do not have a Dell Resource CD.

TMTGTR, Aug 18, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  8. WareNetwork2000

WareNetwork2000

I found "IATA55_enu.exe" but the only way to install the drivers from it is on a Windows XP installation. I can't boot into Windows XP so I need those drivers that you're supposed to put on a floppy disk and press F6 during the start of the Windows XP installation to load the drivers. By the way, those drivers from Intel's website that you sent me didn't work, either.

WareNetwork2000, Aug 18, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  9. WareNetwork2000

Elizabeth23

I am at a loss, there is no resource cd download available, this was a cd that was sent with the original computer in a box. I will try to keep searching.

Elizabeth23, Aug 19, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  10. WareNetwork2000

TMTGTR

I'm confused by this also. I went to the two links Elizabeth23 posted and on:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-and-ahci-driver-for-windows.html?wapkw=Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller

I found a ZIP:
    imsm_driver_windows_x86-64_v7.8.0.1012_rev1.zip

"...Installs the Intel® Matrix RAID Driver for Microsoft Windows*. There are multiple drivers included, please choose below driver during installation for Intel® Server Board S3200SH, X38ML and Intel® Server System SR1520ML:

Intel® 82801IR/IO I/O Controller Hub (ICH9R)..."
    The files appear to be F6 Install files and are dated 2007. They appear to be what you are looking for but I can't swear to it. They have the iaahci.cat & inf files which my zip did not supply you.

Perhaps you were swayed away from the fact that the page says these are for Intel Server boards, that does not necessarily mean they won't work for you.

In doing more research I found this:
    https://community.intel.com/t5/Grap...or-82801ER-RAID-controller/td-p/435209/page/2
    Read the first reply as it is VERY informative to the situation and has a successful workaround.

I'd try that imsm_driver_windows_x86-64_v7.8.0.1012_rev1.zip file first.

BTW WareNetwork2000 is this 32 or 64 bit XP?

More diving:
    I found IATA55_enu.exe Here:
    https://ia800702.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/27/items/CDVD0706/CDVD0706.ISO
    I opened the exe with uniextract and put the driver files into a zip. But these files are from 2005 (if they say 2022 that is due to the extraction re-date process. They are from 2005).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    TMTGTR, Aug 19, 2022
    Samir and Elizabeth23 like this.
  11. WareNetwork2000

Samir

Every time I've installed xp on an older Dell, I just change from sata to legacy and xp will boot/install fine. And I never switch it to sata or install the driver since it just works this way. There's not much of a performance loss, or any that I can tell.

Samir, Aug 22, 2022
Ask a Question