Reasonably Modern Laptop That Can Support Win XP & Win 7 Dual Boot?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by McNut, Sep 13, 2023.

1. McNut

McNut

We need to "resurrect" an old - but powerful - 32-bit "abandonware" utility that was written for XP. I'm being told that M$ changed the way that XML files were handled, post Win XP, and, as the XP utility in question is highly XML-dependent, we supposedly can't go the modern laptop with Win XP Virtual Machine route.

As this is the first time I've visited a forum that's dedicated to XP, please go easy on me ... but the question for the XP folks who've been forced, due to an utter lack of physical space, to use an XP laptop instead of a "tower" is: Putting cost aside - at least for now - what is the newest laptop that can fully support an XP / Win 7 dual-drive dual-boot setup?

Thank you for the help!

McNut, Sep 13, 2023
  2. McNut

tekkaman

I'm think you're going to have to look for a used laptop. I have an old tiny laptop, Acer V5. It was a released in around 2013. Came with windows 7 but it can work fine with XP, 7, 10. Just create partitions for each OS.

tekkaman, Sep 13, 2023
    McNut likes this.
  3. McNut

McNut

If I recall my old PC building days well enough, it will depend on whether or not drivers exist for a given PC laptop, right? In other words, if the XP drivers for a given laptop can't be found, I'm out of luck, correct?

McNut, Sep 13, 2023
  4. McNut

tekkaman

In the case of my laptop the manufacturer didn't provide divers for Windows XP. But with a program called driverpack I was able to even install Windows XP 64 on it with all the drivers. If the manufacturer doesn't provide the drivers and driverpack doesn't work you have to search the internet for each device. Chances are that laptops from 2001 to 2012 should work. My sister has a Dell laptop from 2013 that won't run anything bellow Windows 8. It won't even install because of acpi errors.

tekkaman, Sep 13, 2023
    McNut likes this.
Ask a Question