RE: IE-based browsers

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Dec 2, 2017.

1. trimis

trimis

Anyone know if any Trident-based browsers (Ace Explorer, Acoo Browser, Arora, Avant, etc.), have any better security than IE?

trimis, Dec 2, 2017
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. trimis

cmccaff1

I can't say for certain if they have better security or not, but in general IE works well if you disable SSL 2.0 and 3.0, enable TLS 1.0, disable JavaScript, disable ActiveX, and disable or uninstall all plug-ins and add-ons. Of course, I don't recommend IE unless you come across a site that requires it. However, IE can actually be a godsend on older PCs with low RAM (it was the only browser that worked reliably on my old IBM Thinkpad 380ED with 48MB of RAM; even older Opera/Firefox versions didn't run nearly as well).

cmccaff1, Sep 15, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

Thanks for the tips, but I am looking to uninstall IE, and was hoping to replace it with something similar, but a little better. Haven't found anything yet, so looks like I'll have to make a clean break of it.

trimis, Sep 15, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. trimis

cmccaff1

I don't blame you. I was never a big IE fan, but I did enjoy SlimBrowser for a while back in the day...it's probably the best IE shell I've ever used (they're not all made equal, as I've come to find out). IE is good for VERY old PCs that have a hard time with newer browsers, but on modern hardware that is capable of running better browsers I try to stay away from it as much as possible.

cmccaff1, Sep 15, 2018
Ask a Question